Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

new to this forum, looks like a great deal of expertise resides here.

Found a Woodsman Sport second series; in box with cleaning brush and both grip adaptors9never used). Pistol is 100%; I mean 100%-doesn't look like it was ever fired.

SN indicates 1949 mfg; fixed rear sight; Coltwood stock and adaptors.

What is the approximate value for this piece?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I am no expert and I do not want to sound silly. It is worth what you or anyone else is willing to pay.I have 4 Woodsmans and have paid different prices.Woodsman can be shooters or collectors. You can find shooters for $350-$500. The gun you are interested is certainly in the collector range,and is very difficult to find.If you want a gun to enjoy shooting you will certainly find one much cheaper than the one you are looking at. I guess the asking price would be around $900-1000. What motivation the seller and buyer have makes all the difference. Check the usual sites like Gunbroker, Auctionarms, Gunsamerica, for ranges and if the asking price is reasonable go for it. Do not get hung up on paying a little more than you want, if this is a gun that you have been waiting for. Decide on what you really want.Good Luck!

Neup

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
To pick a nit a bit, the gun you have is a Woodsman Sport Model, not a Sporter, which is an AR-15.

If the package is as complete as you say, and the box is as perfect as the gun, then I think the value will be well above $500, even for a less popular model like the Sport.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right you are! I've corrected my original post.

Woodsman Sport Model

I understand that market dictates the ultimate price. I'm buying this one since it is the first that I've seen in this condition. It isn't possible to have one that is in better condition.

This pistol fills a long empty spot in my collection.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good question. More than I'm going to pay. I knew I was getting a good deal, but I didn't have any idea what the market was for this variant with the fixed sight.

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
According to Bob Rayburn's site, the fixed sight 2nd series sport was produced for only one year, '49-50. I've been buying, selling, and trading Woodsman(s) for over 30 years and have seen only one, heavily used. I'd venture a guess that your LNIB Colt is worth at least 1K if not more. Nice find and nice price. -Asa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts