Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woodsman ?\'s

Hello all, new guy here with my first Colt. My father gave me a Woodsman he found as a child, it's in kind of rough shape finish wise but mechanically sound. I took it to the range tonite and wow, she shoots very well! I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it was made? Serial #132xxx. What types of ammo will be safe to fire in thiss weapon? And lastly I'd like to find an original set of grips for it,any ideas of wehere to find some? I'd also like a couple of magazines, any sources for them? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: Woodsman ?\'s

welcome to the forum, i get 1939 as d.o.m. finding an original set of stocks might take awhile, you might try e-bay. i think a replacment mags are still available from tom forrest i think he web address is www.gunmag.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the welcome and answer sir, by chance would you know what type of ammo is safe for this weapon? Standard velocity or high velocity? Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

sorry but i cant say for sure, my bet is it`s safe for high speed as they{h/s .22} were introduced around 1932, and all colt revolvers after that approx date are counterbored for that reason, i would assume the same for auto`s. there is a colt woodsman web site i belive it is sam lisker`s. try a google on woodsman collectors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts

Bob Rayburn's site, colt.22.com, deals specifically with the Woodsman. In 1932, between serial #'s 81 and 86K, the mainspring housing was changed to one that would handle hi-vel. ammo and is identifiable by crossed lines instead of checkered on the backstrap "fingerprint". All Woodsmen will nonetheless work with standard vel. ammo(but each pistol has to be verified on an individual basis which is all I use-target and subsonic-in my 2nd gen. guns. -Asa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks asa, it has the straight lines on the mainspring housing. I don't plan on shooting it all the time, I think based on it's age I'll just stick with stanard velocity ammo. He found it in a field behind what used to be a bar, it had been laying for a while. The finish... is well it's shot, I finally got it taken apart last night and cleaned it up as best I could removing grass seeds among other gunk.I ran some CCI Greeen Label through it and it's very accurate. How about internal springs does anyone make replacements for them? All are intact but something this old could break any time.

·
Registered
576 Posts

A 1932 Woodsman from your dad? Found in a field way back when with the finish all messed up?

I'd get it restored, if I were you. Not just a reblue, but someone who knows what he is about. Get the pitting out. Recut the lettering if needed.

I don't have a Woodsman from the '30s, but have been thinking about it.

·
Registered
420 Posts

I have a 1938 Woodsman and have been shooting it regularly for over a year without a problem. Get my .22 LR's, high velocity, 36 grain, hollow points from Walmart, Federal brand. They shoot clean, and for 550 rounds for around $9.00 you can't beat that. I agree, clean her up, check her out, and shoot the hell out of her. It's a fun gun to shoot. Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

[ QUOTE ]
A 1932 Woodsman from your dad? Found in a field way back when with the finish all messed up?

I'd get it restored, if I were you. Not just a reblue, but someone who knows what he is about. Get the pitting out. Recut the lettering if needed.

I don't have a Woodsman from the '30s, but have been thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ] As much as I'd love to restore the weapon, I'm not sure she's in good enough condition to do so. There's some deep pitting on the barrel just shy of the muzzle, as well as some pitting in the barrel. There's really no bluing left save for a few small areas. I'd really like to get new springs for her and grips and I think i'll just meave it alone after that, as it would be cost prohibitive for me to do a full restoration by an expert. I do plan on shooting it as it's very accurate and it fits my hand well.I much prefer older weapons to the newer plastic mass produced stuff, these older weapons have character that new ones can only dream of!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts