Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi new member and happy new owner of a 2nd series Match Target. I think I'm missing something in the disassembly instructions posted on Colt22.com. I've watched several videos on YouTube and no help.

It says to pull the slide back and push down on the assembly lock plunger on the top of the slide (series 1 instructions) and while holding down the plunger allow slide to move forward to the closed position. When fully closed, pull trigger and release the assembly lock plunger. The note on this procedure for the 2nd Series, requires that an empty magazine be inserted before pulling the trigger. So here is where I get hung up...all the videos give the impression that once the lock assembly is engaged and the recoil spring is captured, the slide should move freely. The thing is, as soon as I pull the trigger, the slide locks in place and no longer moves freely. Does that mean the recoil spring is no longer captured? I'm afraid to take the mainspring assembly out for fear the recoil spring is no longer captured. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what am I doing incorrectly? TIA

Couldn't post this in the 22lr section, so posting here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
Nice looking 2nd Series MT!!!!
What you are describing is normal. Once you pull the trigger the hammer falls and the hammer is now holding the slide forward. The recoil spring is still captured.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! It's my birthday present from my husband! I think it's been sitting around for some time, the oil is all gummy. Need to get this baby cleaned! Can't wait to take it out to the range. Thanks again for your help!

·
Premium Member
20,921 Posts
AMM962, I gave a MT just like yours to an engraver years ago to engrave for me. About a month later, he called and said it is ready to be picked up. When I got to his house, he handed me a box with what appeared to contain about 56-60 large and small parts. I told him I had no idea how to reassemble the gun. He said, "Neither do I. I only know how to take them apart."
I sheepishly had to take the box of parts to a gunsmith to get the gun back together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the Colt Forum.
If you encounter any problem, questions or concerns feel free to contact me directly.
You are also encouraged to visit Bob Rayburn's most excellent website on all things Woodsman.
www.colt22.com

Regards,
Tom Platt
[email protected]
Thank you! That is so generous of you! I've been glued to Mr. Rayburn's site ever since I got my MT. I tracked down an eighth edition copy of his excellent pocket guide. Been a fan of these guns for many years.

Best to you,
Amanda

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AMM962, I gave a MT just like yours to an engraver years ago to engrave for me. About a month later, he called and said it is ready to be picked up. When I got to his house, he handed me a box with what appeared to contain about 56-60 large and small parts. I told him I had no idea how to reassemble the gun. He said, "Neither do I. I only know how to take them apart."
I sheepishly had to take the box of parts to a gunsmith to get the gun back together.
Oh, my! I think I might have cried at that point! Haha! Thank goodness for gunsmiths! So how did it turn out after you got it back together? Do you still own it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts