Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Forum
You have a 2nd series Woodsman Sport model there. The serial# dates it to approx 1948. Your picture is quite small, so I really can't make out the markings above the serial#, but I doubt that it was done by Colt. Probably the previous owners initials?
I'll defer the answer to Mr Rayburn, who is the forum expert on anything Colt Woodsman.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I will try to reach out to Mr. Rayburn. I tried to upload a larger pic but failed each time until I went with this size. Any idea on the value of this gun?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Mr Rayburn will be along to comment. I live in Canada, but our prices are somewhat similar. The markings if done other than Colt will hurt the price considerably. The picture isn't good enough for me to get a good look at the overall condition. Try posting pic's from photobucket, which is what I use. It's free and easy to do.

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
You 'might' have a piece that came from the old Korean War-era 'Military Rest and Recreation' program, before it became 'Military Welfare and Recreation'.

You could check out various pistols, rifles and shotguns - as well as tents, fishing and boating equipment and the like - and I remember that all of those weapons were commercial and were marked with the organization's initials on their receivers.

Eventually, they were all sold via surplus channels.

In this instance - a Colt Letter is about the only way to prove that connection - though it's been my understanding that they were off-the-shelf local purchase items.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts