Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I will be picking up a very nice 1950 vintage Woodsman that will need some repair to make it functional. I'm not a gunsmith (I've tried and failed a few times too many) so I need to find one here in northern Illinois that is familiar with the Woodsman model. I know there a lot of gunshops in the area, but I don't know if their gunsmiths can fix this without damaging the screws or scratching it somewhere. Anybody got a gunsmith name or gunshop they really trust? Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this Woodsman sat around in a closet for a few decades. While is wasn't dirty/dusty, it was "stiff". The magazine release wouldn't work until I pushed it until my thumb hurt...then it wouldn't rebound. So I put a drop of oil on it and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. It soaked in fine and now the mag release works as it should. Yeh. Same thing with the trigger. I pulled the slide back and released it and the trigger wouldn't move. But when I moved the safety, something clicked inside, not as loud as the firing pin moving forward, but I could hear a muffled click. So, oil on the trigger, let it sit upside down for 5 mins and now it worked fine too. I suspect it needs a good cleaning. For now though, it's working the way it should. I'll try it out at a range in the next week or two. Thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Take the stocks off and soak it in whatever solution will un-gunk the 60 year old factory grease in it. Kerosene is one affordable solvent that works. Wear good rubber gloves and take it out periodically, working the action, safety, mag release, etc. I would not dry fire it. Get some .22 LR snap caps for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Might I suggest a thorough clean with a complete disassembly.
To learn more about your 2nd Series Woodsman I recommend you visit Bob Rayburn's most excellent website at:
22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman
Further explanation of the function and assembly can be viewed under the "Woodsman Repair" section, opening page top left tab.
Scroll down past the photograph of the "Woodsman Tools" and pay attention to the tutorials posted.
Any issue that may arise or for help you can click the tab in the same section (top of page) titled "Send Email"
Best of Luck & Regards,
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts