Discussion Starter #1
[HR][/HR]

I have a 1949 Woodsman Second series sport model,
and while shooting it today, the trigger went limp, and it won't release the
hammer.

Perhaps the trigger spring broke? Trigger bar? Any
ideas?

My problem is that since I can't release the hammer, I can't get
the mainspring housing out to strip the pistol and get at the innards. I did try
going in the side way by removing the slide stop and side plate, but I don't
want to get into complexities with the slide still on.

Suggestions are welcome, including dropping the gun off at a smith and let him worry about
it.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
First remove the magazine, then the grip then the cover plate. you have to pull the slide back and push down the upper button (takedown button) to catch the recoil spring. Now, push out the safety lever. The hammer will fall and you can now perform the usual procedure of disassembly of the pistol. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Naningyo,

That did it! Thanks for your help. The trigger spring is indeed broken. Now I need to get a new one and figure out how to finesse the new spring back in!

Many thanks. If you have a suggestion on putting the new trigger spring in and how to orient it inside the trigger and trigger bar assembly, I'm all ears. I have the Gun Digest Book of Assembly/Disassembly but can't make out how the spring fits in and what the legs of the spring bear against.
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the updates sir. Yes, the reason why your unit won't work is because of the broken trigger spring. The trigger spring can be fabricated and can be installed easily. Have the worn-out/broken spring copied. Since colt woodsmans are user's friendly, it will guide you how to do it. By the way sir, in case you failed to install it, just inform me and I'll teach you step by step. just give it a try. It will be a challenging task but rewarding. Your Colt Woodsman is a great pistol and you have to be familiar with it. All you need is something to push the left end of the trigger spring back inside the trigger housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts