Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first series Woodsman that has no serial number that I can find. It appears that it was made between 1933 and WW-II. I say this because it has horizontal bars on the back strap. The frame appears to never have been blued. Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
810 Posts
Whit, welcome to the Forum.

Your gun should have the serial number either in the front of the grip strap ( if its THAT early)directly below the trigger guard or on the right side of the receiver, near the ejection port.
Otherwise it may have been refinished and the number removed which would be a "no-no", they were ALL numbered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dan,
Thanks for replying. The gun has never been refinished. All edges and lettering is sharp with no rounding. On the left side of the barrel there are three patent dates: 1903 and two fron 1918. On the left side of the frame are the words "THE WOODSMAN". On the left side of the slide is "Colt Automatic cal. 22 long rifle" with the Colt logo. On the right side of the trigger guard is the number 87. Other than two small proof marks, that is all there is.

Whit

·
Registered
810 Posts
There are NO numbers in the front of the grip strap (where your fingers would wrap around?)

How about on the very bottom, where the magazine goes up into the grip frame, I know the old Match Targets had their numbers there. I.E.: M/T 123

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan,
Thanks for the help. I took it to a gunsmith I know and after a nearly microscopic search he concluded that the frame has been replaced. The numbers under the slide are there.

Thanks Again, whit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts