Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Stagecoach 22 that belonged to my dad. I've decided to refurbish it. Dad was not big on gun cleaning so the first thing I've done is to pull the trigger group and bolt, clean those up and give the barrel a good cleaning while they were out.

Unfortunately, while in the process of reinstalling the bolt, I broke the extractor off. Dang it! Things were going so well up to that point.

I've found a place that has the extractor for sale (Numrich Gun Parts) but they are not filling orders at the moment due to COVID-19. Are there any other places you folks know of that might have parts? I'm going to go do some more searching.

Also, I wanted to refinish the barrel and receiver. The existing finish is worn and scratched. It is a black finish. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well

Thanks.
colt1.jpg
colt2.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I found a place selling extractors. Jack First Gun Parts. A little pricey but it will reinforce the need to be careful. :cautious:

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Think about this...

Your Dad was the one who put that wear on his rifle - attempting to refinish it takes away 'his' touch.

Is that something you really want to do?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Cleaning is one thing but refinishing is something else altogether. It isn't a new gun, it belonged to you Dad. I understand making it look good but each of those scratches and dings have a story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, guys. I'm rethinking the refinishing idea.

I'm going to order the extractor from Jack First Gun Parts. I post how that goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on this rifle project.

I had very good service from Jack First Gun Parts. I ordered the extractor on Monday and it came in the mail today.

Got the gun put back together and it seems to function ok. I'll take it out tomorrow for some test shooting to make sure all is good. I've decided not to refinish it.
rifle.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
I just read this. I have some spare parts for these as I have all 3. Anyway. You can order a repro owners manual from colt for $10 but it appears you have this gun figured out. In the future, about every 500 rounds, take the trigger group out and clean like you did and these guns will keep shooting and working well. The stage coach is sure cute and tiny. My favorite is the courier with its pistol grip and fatter forearm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the shooting test didn't go so well. I don't think it was the gun though. Looks to be bad ammo. When I left to shoot I just grabbed a box of shells that dad had also had. No idea how old they are. When I opened the box I found that most of the shells has some kind of white powder on them. Corrosion? Something leaking out of the bullets? I wiped it off of some and tried to shoot then. Some fired full power and ejected ok. Some felt like I was shooting a .22 short and didn't eject. Some didn't fire at all.
bullets.jpg

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Lead oxidation - you 'can' wipe it away and shoot it, but don't be expecting much, because it seems to do that when improperly stored.

Try Remington's 'Golden Bullets' - they have a harder wax coat and work quite well in semi-autos - both rifle and pistol.

Also - make certain that the piece is 'clean' - that's why they invented the 'Q-Tip' and round toothpicks.

Try a bit of 'Old English' on the scratched stock, too - it'll present cleaner.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sorry to hear your test didn't do as planned. Like dogface6 said, probably poor storage. Just get a box or two of new ammo and things will go better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. It's funny. I have a second box of the same brand, presumable the same age, and they look perfect. And I have much newer .22 LR so I'll break that out next time. I'm sure have some Golden Bullets. Or Mini Mags. We'll see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update. I did get out today and fired about fifty rounds. It was mainly fine but there were two instances of what I presume to be a light rim strike where the bullet didn't fire. Mostly the first round chambered but if I let the bolt slide forward solidly when chambering the round it fired ok. I reloaded the rounds that didn't fire the first time and they fired ok the second time.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I've never liked CCI in semiautomatics - rifle and pistol - too many failures to fire.

They work fine in revolvers and bolt actions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems I've heard that about CCI.

I was at an outdoor range today, with rain moving in (and it's pouring outside as I type) so I didn't dally long when shooting. I have a real mongrel collection of 22 ammo and I think I was using old federals today with the 'coach. I did try those rounds, along with four other brands, in a 10/22 I shot today and they ran fine in that gun.

I think the bolt was not seating firmly when I racked it. I'll pay more attention when I'm not pressed for time.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sometimes , if the rifle has been neglected after shooting a lot, a carbon ring will build up right at the mouth of the chamber. This ring of carbon and lead can prevent a round from chambering completely, especially it they look like the ammo in your previous picture. The firing pin strike pushed the round into the chamber but not a sharp enough hit to fire the round.
It takes some extra scrubbing to get that ring out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts