Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look at a Colt 1902 32 cal. pistol that local fellow was selling. His firm asking price is $300. The pistol had no bluing remaining, just bare metal. I do not recall the serial number but it was 4-digits. The Colt stamped info on left side was almost worn away, right side better. The left grip was the black hard rubber, right side grip was wood. Magazine was two-toned. The mis-matched grips concerned me most as a value killer. I offered him $200, he held firm at $300. Was I being too cheap? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Probably not. If the bore was good, it functioned right, and it had the original magazine it might be a deal to consider. Lots of these great little 1903s made so keep looking or offer $250 if you want it. The mismatched stocks are a deal killer for me. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Colt 75. I agree. The fact that it was worn did not bother me. Gent had fired the gun, worked fine. Bore actually looked pretty good. I think the grip situation would bug me. Had a Colt 1917 once. It was average condition at best, however, it had old plastic stocks on it. I could not find vintage wood grips and I did not wish to buy new wood grips. I finally sold it. The grips make are a huge deal to me.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I took a look at a Colt 1902 32 cal. pistol that local fellow was selling. His firm asking price is $300. The pistol had no bluing remaining, just bare metal. I do not recall the serial number but it was 4-digits. The Colt stamped info on left side was almost worn away, right side better. The left grip was the black hard rubber, right side grip was wood. Magazine was two-toned. The mis-matched grips concerned me most as a value killer. I offered him $200, he held firm at $300. Was I being too cheap? Thanks...
Maybe 230-250 max. If you price original mags, if they come available, you'll see $125 and up. Crazy. If buying as a nice old shooter the stocks can be ordered from a mumber of places that are pretty decent look almost like originals. Walnuts would work and not off the wall prices. IMHO

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
A 1903 32 auto is still a common used gun. The one you described might be the first variation and has a removeable barrel bushing and longer barrel than the later models. Numrich has replacement barrels but I don't know about this early. Like stated, you have to check the bore as many are pitted bad and sometimes buldged. Wolf springs makes replacement springs. Vintage gungrips makes replacement stocks and aftermarket magazines are also made. If the barrel is good, the asking price is about right. For what its worth, while larger by todays standards for a 32 auto, they are a sweet shooter that people who may be recoil sensitive find them fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
$250 is an ok deal, but I would wait for something a little better for $300. However for investment purposes, get as nice as you can afford. Shoot it and take care of it. The nicest ones will increase in value.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
The 2-tone mag, pinned base, unmarked was on the type IIs. Type Is were all blue. Grip panels were standard black rubber, with scalloped border above and below 'COLT'. Walnut was optional.
Those things are a little pricey in these parts, but I'd hafta think real hard at $300. Pics & ser # range would help. An early model M is a desireable piece.
Need more info. Bushing or lug? Plunge cut grippers or the serrated kind?
I've seen and handled ones that are far worse than what you have described for the same kind of money.
You can get correct grip panels for it.
Go haggle with him a little, then give him what he wants. (After you have completed your research, of course.)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Oberon, good advice. I will research further.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts