Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Series 70 is what I would go with, but I don't know pricing these days. I'm not going to be very critical here, I do notice the rear sight is an aftermarket replacement, as are the grips, for better or worse. All in all the price doesn't look bad, comes with three magazines. I'd replace the sight with an original, but that's just me.

Edit to say, learn to hold it correctly or you may be disappointed at the range. Put it in the web of your hand so it lines up with your extended arm so you press the trigger with just the tip of your index finger. It takes some training and self discipline but you'll learn to point and shoot with amazing accuracy. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Non-factory MMC adjustable rear sight, non-factory Pachmayr rubber grips.

The slide's top will have a flat filed under the sight, too.

You might want to do your homework, before jumping in..

·
Registered
296 Posts
At $600 I'd say go for it. At $750... Well, it might turn out to be a good gun... It's pretty easy to get a good deal on 1911's right now.

Personally I don't worry about series 70 vs 80. The series 80 guns I have are some really good gun and the series 80 mechanism is complete un-noticeable until it comes to disassemble/reassemble

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Considering the alterations which aren't significant, but for another 100 you could buy a new Colt Gov't Model.
If it was original I'd say go for it, but dogface is right about the flat under the MMC sight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the help with my homework! I can take Glocks and Walthers apart in my sleep but I?m not afraid to admit I?m a newbie to the 1911. But looking forward to learning more.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It your going to actually shoot it, I recommend you buy a new Series '70 Government Model. They have the wonderful classic Mark IV look. They look and feel like a 1911 should....and they are Colts.

The older ones (while nice) are becoming collector items and the new ones are just tighter, have better sights and have a lifetime warranty.

I have both old and new and generally the newer ones shoot circles around the old ones. The newer ones don't have that stupid collett bushing on the barrel that is prone to failure.

Stainless under $1000 on Gun Broker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/715090385

Blue too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/715118808

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
When buying a used gun its nice to look at it in person, which isn't always practical or possible when searching for the one you're looking for. Whereas a new gun is a new gun. You kind of know what to expect and it does have a warranty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I certainly agree about the wear issue. If I were unterested still in this one I?d have to see more and better pix. But I think youve done a good job educating me and steering me away from this. However, the new ones for just a bit more look more and more attractive. I?m going to a few stores tomorrow to take a better look atthe Govt models.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Do some reading.

The M1911 and M1911A1s are GI-issued Service Pistols - a whole 'nuther level of collectability and consequent knowledge is needed.

A 'Government Model' - covers all of the civilian variants - from straight commercial 'Government Model' -built until 1970, then through 'Series 70', 'Series 80' and so on and so forth.

Decide what it is that you really want, look at 'Gunbroker' and 'GunsAmerica' for realized pricing - then start thinking about what you're willing to pay after that, since the market's full of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all who offered the constructive advice to get me started.

And, yes, dogface, I will do some more reading before coming back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts