Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know what was the MSRP for the Python 4 inch Nickel made 1974?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Just guessing, around $375s as my nickle 2 1/2" was about $320s around 1971. I remember drooling over them for $125s list in the late 1950s. That looked to me like a couple thousand does to me now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im looking at my bill of sale dated 111574 for the nickel 4 inch python I bought when I went on the job for $252.00 plus $12.60 sales tax minus a $20.00 police discount making the final price $244.60 from Breit and Johnsons sporting goods in Oak Park Il.,if that helps. Mine which I have passed down to my son who is also a law officer has an E prefix serial number.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I do. According to the September 5, 1974 Colt Retail Price List, the price of a nickel Python in either 4-inch or 6-inch was $282.00. (The 2.5-inch Python was not available in nickel.) All blue Pythons cost $253.00 on that same price list, regardless of barrel-length.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS to all for your help!

heeter3, mine also has an E prefix. Your son is one lucky guy to have such a dad.

Jim R

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow! I've been nagging my uncle to sell me his 6" stainless forever..i offered him 1k and my 686+ and he still wont sell it to me.he was so surprise how much i offered him. he didnt know they're worth that much. I'll keep on nagging..lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Jim,he told me he will pass it on to his son.Unfortunately he cant carry it on the job as I did because most police departments ,including his only authorize semi-autos but he does like to shoot it and is amazed at its balance and accuracy. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No sweat off my groove. Gun Digest prices were always wrong, just reportin' the news here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In 1976 I paid 256.00 + 6% Pa. sales tax for a new 6 inch blue Python.Still remember driving home thinking I must be CRAZY to pay over 200.00 for a gun. I was just hired as a new patrolman in a small department. I was making 5500.00 a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts