Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to the law enforcement academy just over 20 years ago I hit it off with one of the instructors, who himself was a retired state trooper. A couple of years after I graduated he retired, again, and he and his wife bought a home just a few miles from where I live. We have kept in touch and I took advantage of his experience and often utilized him for various department training opportunities, which he loved doing. On occasion he would tell us about his experiences in law enforcement from the '60's and '70's and the "youngsters" in the department would listen is rapt amazement at how things have changed. He recently celebrated his 80th birthday and he still likes coming to the department range and watching the "youngsters" as he calls them, so I try to pick him up and bring him to the department range once a month.

A few weeks ago he gave me the revolver pictured below. Not having hardly any experience with Colt's revolvers I'm not sure what it is, although he told me it was a .38 special. It has obviously been refinished, nickeled I assume, and the markings on the barrel are just about obscured. Using a magnifying glass I can make out the word "Special" on the left side of the barrel. Based on what I have been able to determine I believe it to be a Police Positive .38 Special. Serial number is 2324XX, that would put it with a manufactured year of 1921.

I could be all wrong which is why I seek the input of those who can probably tell on sight what it actually is.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nice revolver.

Since it is a .38 Special, the correct model would be Police Positive Special. The Police Positive is quite similar in size, but has a shorter cylinder that is not long enough to chamber .38 Special cartridges.

The stocks are correct for a 1921 vintage revolver, and, if original, may be serial numbered on the back side.

Reactions: Faulkner

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback gentlemen.

I removed the stocks and found no markings of any sort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts