680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
934 Posts

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Parts of it look nice, especially the Lot 5 trigger guard, but the front sight is a problem and the hammer seems to be sitting high. In 1885 I would expect to see a period or two with the US. No Kopec letter is always a red flag with these. I would call John and see if he's lettered this gun previously, I'd bet he has.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parts of it look nice, especially the Lot 5 trigger guard, but the front sight is a problem and the hammer seems to be sitting high. In 1885 I would expect to see a period or two with the US. No Kopec letter is always a red flag with these. I would call John and see if he's lettered this gun previously, I'd bet he has.
Thanks I think I might do that.
Dennis

·
Registered
621 Posts
That barrel sure doesn't look like 5 1/2"
The patent date says Sept 19 1871. Correct me if I'm off base but shouldn't the patent date be 1873 or better?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I guessed I stepped in it here with my 1871 patent date comment. Ouch. Someone enlighten me please....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think the hammer is high due to it being on the first notch rather then all the way down. I see no real red flags. The sight could have been replaced or repaired for any number of reasons in the last 120 years. If you are looking for absolute perfection in a 100 plus year old gun / tool make sure you have enough years left to complete the journey. Better pictures would sure help to sell a 5000 dollar gun.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I don't own a martial Colt, and have been scared to buy one because they are so often faked or have improper parts. This one looks decent but price seems low for condition. Would like comments on how legit it is. The first thing I noticed is the front sight, it doesn't look like a pro installed it.

079-0919-9026, Colt SA Artillery, RAINBOW HUES, BLUE, FINE OVERALL. » Antique Guns
tdennis
This one looks like a superior grade mixed number "artillery". The italic barrel should have a 1st type ejector housing, although it may be "ungraded" with an added slot for quicker rod head removal. Is that silver solder overflow around the front sight? That's what it looks like, and if so, was sloppy work at some arsenal! They just needed to polish off that solder prior to bluing. The sight contours and color look proper. Overall it appears to be an OK gun.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I am late to this thread. I think what others have pointed out is sound advice, especially Rick Bowles and victorio1sw. I, too, would expect to see periods after the "U" and "S". Based on what John Kopec says will tell you how to proceed or whether or not to proceed. I think that, overall, the revolver appears to be generally correct and the observations with regards to the sight and Lot 5 trigger guard are valid. I would think that the trigger guard would add 10% to the value of this revolver. I think at $3900 it is reaching the upper limits of true value provided that the findings of those of us on the forum are valid and it garnishes a decent letter from John Kopec. Due to problems identified, a Gold Seal letter would be impossible.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Is that silver solder overflow around the front sight? That's what it looks like, and if so, was sloppy work at some arsenal!
The quality of this work, or lack thereof, strongly suggests that it is not work performed at an Arsenal, but rather a later repair.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The quality of this work, or lack thereof, strongly suggests that it is not work performed at an Arsenal, but rather a later repair.
That's exactly what I am thinking? I agree with
Victorio1sw that is silver solder flow around the sight. I feel sure it was done later on in the life of the gun. Can't believe an arsenal smith would do that and not clean it up and reblue.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Many good comments on this gun. The front sight repair appears good except for the un-dressed solder flow. Might have been left by someone who did not want to re-blue the barrel after the repair. Not done by Colt, but maybe by a military armorer - who knows. The frame appears to have been lightly polished when it was re-cased which might explain the missing "US" periods. The grips appear to be well fitted and appear original from the original SA alteration in 1898 but inconsistent with any replacement grips if the gun was refurbished by Colt during 1901-03.

I like the gun overall. But the many questions could be answered by a Factory letter stating whether the gun was returned for refurbishment during 1901-03 and a favorable Kopec letter.

In my experience a legitimite 5 serial number Artillery in high condition is not easy to find. I feel a Factory letter and favorable Kopec letter would add $2K to $3K in value to this gun.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many good comments on this gun. The front sight repair appears good except for the un-dressed solder flow. Might have been left by someone who did not want to re-blue the barrel after the repair. Not done by Colt, but maybe by a military armorer - who knows. The frame appears to have been lightly polished when it was re-cased which might explain the missing "US" periods. The grips appear to be well fitted and appear original from the original SA alteration in 1898 but inconsistent with any replacement grips if the gun was refurbished by Colt during 1901-03.

I like the gun overall. But the many questions could be answered by a Factory letter stating whether the gun was returned for refurbishment during 1901-03 and a favorable Kopec letter.

In my experience a legitimite 5 serial number Artillery in high condition is not easy to find. I feel a Factory letter and favorable Kopec letter would add $2K to $3K in value to this gun.
Oh me just when I had decided I didn't want to live with that solder mess!

I would assume cleaning up the solder and a reblue would devalue the gun but by how much?
tdennis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts