Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Collectors and Gun Enthusiast:
I would like to have your recommendation on these two (2) 1911, asking price on each is about 2K, I cannot buy both, so I’ll have to decide for the one with the most collectable value and make a fair offer.
Visiting several internet sites, I have seen similar 1911s, some with lower prices or the opposite, maybe in better condition with no pitting. I understand that CONDITION and RARITY are important and are related to price. I have not been able to identify a similar Arsenal Rebuilt NM like the one mkd-2 to compare prices, but I do not think it is uncommon.
Your opinion and advice on value and desirability on each gun will be much appreciated.

Pistol #1- Colt Model of 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP
Colt Manufacture, Frame and Slide, Serial No. 4405xx, date of manufacture, late 1918 (ProofHouse.com). Colt "Black Army" finish.
a-Pitting on right side of slide and slide catch, some dents on left side of slide.
b-Correct Slide Catch, Magazine Catch, Hammer, Trigger and Grips.
c-Magazine NOT Matching, NO TWO TONE.
d-Has Original GI Holster.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver

Pistol #2- Arsenal Rebuilt: UNITED STATES PROPERTY/ M1911 A1 US ARMY, .45 ACP
a) Frame Remington Rand, serial No.15215xx, manufactured 1944 (ProofHouse.com)
b) Springfield Arsenal, SA markings on frame. “T” mark over Magazine Catch at right side.
c) Colt Government type Slide, markings almost gone during Rebuilt (I suppose), only a faint Colt name imprint can be noticed on both sides.
d) Correct front and rear sights, adjustable rear sight Kensight/BoMar type, marked “US” on left side.
e) Barrel Hood imprinted with same serial number as Frame. Deep blue color on barrel, No slide marks over hood. Pistol looks as never been fired. Correct NM Bushing markings.
f) Parkerized Finish is excellent 98%,only two minor scratches on right side of Frame.
g) Long Aluminum Trigger (No signs of scratching against frame due to use or side play), Trigger pull weight is firm maybe over 6lbs.
h) Original Wood Grips, and grip screws. Excellent condition.
i) Matching Magazine, Parkerized (only one) hand engraved (Carbide Tip Electric Engraver) the last three serial numbers on left side.
j) Original Cardboard Box, Wax Paper and “1967 National Match Pistol Booklet, Camp Perry, Ohio”.
k) Pistol is not lubricated. No Rust on any surface or part.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
What is the part number on the barrel? Bushing should be electro penciled with last four digits of serial number, only seen when busing is removed.

At 2K I would certainly pass on the Model 1911, but if the NM turns out to be correct that is not a bad buy.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
1967 was the year Springfield Armory began closing down operations after a 106 year run. Jenkins lists 3 variations of the 1967 NM pistols: those rebuilt solely at SA, those rebuilt solely at RIA, and earlier SA NM pistols rebuilt at RIA. All indications are, the pistol in question is one of the very last National Match pistols built at SA.

Lightly pitted 1918 M1911s are relatively common. You'll most likely never see another 1967 SA NM.

·
Premium Member
21,810 Posts
I have owned three true NM 1911's similar to the one pictured and I sold all of them. I regret selling them
and would gladly purchase another in the $2K range. The other 1918 gun is not worth the $2K, IMHO.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Just be sure the NM is correct. A lot of NM parts have been on the market for years, but never seen one fitted and numbered like a Springfield or RIA.

This is a 1961 SA NM pistol. It is fitted with one of the post WWII Colt hard slides made prior to the NM hard slides.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Every so often, I open my old issued, Pachmayr shooting box, lift the lid with the M49 'scope, pull out the tray and just smile when I look at my GI-built National Match pistols.

Underneath the tray are my Scorebook and my issued Ray-Bans and wiping cloth.

Again - buy the National Match piece - you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pistol 1 looks like a combination of a "Model of" slide and "U.S. Property" frame. I have seen an original "Model of" pistol with no government marking. I can't see the hammer, but, it should be narrow. This is not a true collectors pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.