Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt SAA # 247010 and Bisley # 309360. Would the grips have the serial number scratched on the inside? I cannot seem to find and answer in Volume 1 or 2 of the Colt Peacemaker Encyclopedias. Thanks for any help. Shawn

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Not necessarily! Later guns like the Bisley, if numbered, the full serial number is usually scratched inside the stock panels.

Earlier guns, especially turn of the century and earlier, the serial number, if present, will usually be the last 4 digits written in pencil on one of the inside flats or on the flat surface that mates to the back of the frame. It appears that Colt continued the process of marking the stocks with a pencil long after they went from one piece wood stocks to hard rubber.

Your gun in the 247,000 range is kind of in no man's land.

That has been my observation over the years and seems to be substantiated by the Single Actions I have in my collection. Unfortunately, those penciled serial numbers on hard rubber stocks have probably been wiped off over the years by collectors that didn't know how they were marked and didn't notice they were there. They, believing they should be marked, probably scratched the serial number in them.

Generally, if stocks aren't numbered and they fit the gun perfectly, they are probably original to the gun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.