Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never purchased a gun on GB though I have sold a couple. Looking at a pistol but seller has had only one transaction and that was a purchase. He has what I want though may get too pricey. He is a certified seller for what that's worth. I am paranoid since so many have been stiffed by on-line sellers. What would you do? Has anyone here regretted a purchase from a rather unproven seller? Thanks for the perspective...Dan

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I once bought a nice 1st gen SAA off of gunbroker from a guy with no feedback (NR). Turns out he was a music professor from Virginia. We talked on the phone several times and the transaction went smoothly. Every purchase I've made on there has went fine, but that's just me, others may have horror stories.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
"since so many have been stiffed by on-line sellers"

I seriously doubt this is true. Sure, I read a few of these type posts on various forums here and there. Gunbroker sellers are generally OK. I've been a registered member since 2001 and I've never had any problems. I don't buy guns from some auction sites that are questionable but Gunbroker is OK.
I've had 27 transactions, mostly buying and a few selling. No problems.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I have won two or three Gunbroker Auctions, from Sellers who had zero prior feedback.

In one instance, the guy was selling a Revolver his Uncle had left him, and, it was the only Gun he was going to sell anyway.

What I did, was PM the Seller and request a telephone conversation, and, to then talk with them on the phone, with the premise of wanting to ask a few questions about the Arm and just to talk a little.

Since in these instances, for having spoken with them on the 'phone, I felt confident about their Character, I went ahead and Bid, and, won.

I have also 'passed' a number of times with Sellers who had no prior feedback, on Guns I really would have liked to have had, just on the 'vibe' or 'sense' I gathered form their Auction Listing.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Absolutely if his feedback wasn't a minus for that one transaction. For all the reasons the previous posters state, if it is a gun you want, at a decent price, bid.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
You can also ask if the seller has an Ebay account and what his feedback there is, Gives an indication whether he might be ok or not

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Really, I think any important Internet Purchase from an Auction site, it is always best to communicate with the Seller before bidding ( if one can or if there is time ).

Ask a few questions, converse a little in PMs or email...ask for a particular image of some detail or aspect of the Arm.

I usually do, and, my only disappointments have been, in instances when I had not.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I have purchased several firearms from people without references or feedback. Once they are vetted by you, the decision is easy. Scammers are typically very easy to weed out, the misinformed who truly believe what they are telling you not so much. The times I have been burned on item is not due to their trying to scam me but rather my lack of knowledge and them just trying to get rid of something they don't know a lot about, or care about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was an NR at one time, sellers accepted my bids without concern. And I have had success with every buyer that was a first timer. I have received and given glowing feedback on every transaction..

·
Registered
477 Posts
But never forget that if someone rips you off on GunBroker, you are on your own. GunBroker will do nothing to help the buyer who has been taken, no matter how dishonest the seller was.

Caveat emptor is GunBroker's motto.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Malysh, a better way to say what I meant is there are quite a few buyers who have been scammed or misinformed. As a % of GB sales, I bet the number is minuscule. GB is my favorite auction site. I will ask a few questions and perhaps try and call seller. Innocent until proven guilty. I'll turn on my "Spidey" sense. I have purchased quite anew guns over the years but never on auction site. Thanks as always...Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
i guarantee even the best GB dealers had only 1 transaction at one point :) If in doubt, call them up - tell them your concern. When I had 1 transaction and i had a buyer, he asked for a copy of my license - knowing i was honest, i obliged to show to the buyer i was genuine.

·
Premium Member
21,040 Posts
I was just 'stiffed' by a seller on ebay who had 4 sells and a perfect rating on those sells. Who knows what happened.
Maybe the seller died or is in the hospital. Fortunately, on ebay, they will intercede in any deal that goes bad.
GunBroker does not offer that service.
A friend of mine has had photos of guns he has for sell pirated by a third party who advertised on another gun sale site.
When he tried to report this to the site, they reacted very slowly such that money could not be recovered.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been ripped off on GunBroker by "verified" sellers, and also Auction Arms. I've involved LE from city, State, and Federal, and NONE will act. Some will take a report. Good advice already given on this thread.

Ask for additional pics that are not posted. If they don't have the item, or "it is already boxed to ship", then it is a scam. During the Sandy Hook debacle, I got ripped off by a greedy dealer verified by GB AND with his own website "Tatum Tactical Solutions".
So, it is a gamble.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have made a few purchases on GB from sellers with little, or no feedback. The only one I can remember at the moment was a West German PPK that I got for a pretty good price, I think because the zero feedback scared everyone else off. I took the time to contact the seller, and asked a few questions (some of which I really wanted to know the answers, others just to make conversation and see how they would be answered). The seller answered them promptly and with courtesy, made me feel comfortable, and I got a good deal.

On the other hand, I've also walked away when I didn't get similar responses. A few months ago, I spotted a pistol at a price that caught my attention. The seller had around a 16 to 20 positive rating. But all of that feedback was in roughly the last two months, and all appeared to be for ammo sales-- no firearms as far as I could tell. I sent an email asking a few things, about shipping, about whether they had ever sold firearms on GB before, about whether they had a shop (I used to live in the town listed in the seller's profile, and there wasn't any shop when I lived there), and maybe a couple other misc questions.

I received a curt, somewhat poorly written response about shipping and nothing else. I walked away without bidding. Maybe it was legit, but there were too many flags for my comfort. Maybe it was a good deal, but even if so, the seller needs to be a better communicator too.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
A year ago a pair of antique French percussion pistols showed up on GB. No prevous sales, I sent a message to the seller requesting a phone number. After I had spoken to them I bid and won them. With all of my internet purchases I have only had one loss and that was recently on "The Trader" for some brass that I never received.

Jim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts