Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
My browser just messed up on me and my computer shut down lol. But that's actually a good deal on that box right now, its pretty clean too. Its an early no catalog number box for a 4 5/8" 357 Flattop. RENE has that box listed at $405. It will definitely go over 300, but the guy may not have it listed correctly to get maximum value. May end up being somewhat of good deal if someone needs one.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
As W99 points out, Ruger boxes have high market value for the rarer variations. I sold some a few years ago that I had accumulated and was pleased with the prices they brought. To a true collector, "cardboard" has high value.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no idea. I thought the value for gun boxes in general was more connected to a box that matched the actual gun that shipped in it, that is has the matching serial number, model number, etc. on the box.

Learn something new every day ;)

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
IMHO, Ruger Collectors are "Cardboard Crazy." I just sold a Flattop 357 box like that one for $200 to a friend who collects Rugers. I had about 15 nice collectible Rugers, but his eyes were immediately drawn to that box. I knew it had to have more value, but I would rather have the $$'s to put into Colts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
... Ruger boxes have high market value for the rarer variations...
I have a Blackhawk .357 MAXIMUM 10 1/2 bbl box in "good shape" and the (almost) like new pistol that goes in the box. (Shot some regular .357 in it as I can't find the MAXIMUM.)
Does this possibly qualify as a "rarer variation"????

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have a Blackhawk .357 MAXIMUM 10 1/2 bbl box in "good shape" and the (almost) like new pistol that goes in the box. (Shot some regular .357 in it as I can't find the MAXIMUM.)

No. Not in my book. A rare box is something like a Super Blackhawk white box, Tri-color Lightweight box of any flavor, a Hawkeye box, or something like a 10" Flattop box. All of those are much, much, much harder to find and more desirable to collectors than a Maximum box. Lower production, made much longer ago, and during a time when the vast majority of people tossed the boxes. By the time the Maximum came out, more people were keeping boxes as a general rule.

A non-cataloged .357 Flattop box, especially one with the grease pencil SN rubbed off, is cheap at $300 in nice shape and adds nicely to the value of a high condition gun for which it is correct.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Well I still need one RUGER BOX....a 10" 357 Flat Top Box....finally got a GREEN WREATH Light Weight box.....anyone got an extra ;) ;) ;)

I might trade a nice PYTHON for it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: RR.

·
Registered
642 Posts
There's relatively few of Ruger's .357 Maximum available, both handgun or the carton, so I'd wager that box You have is quite valuable.
I'd hang on to that gun, because it's likely the value of the gun and box together will be very significant in years to come.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting, I happen to have a Ruger Blackhawk box that looks alot like the one that just sold for $262. What do I look for to determine if mine has any value?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback on the .357 Maximum box. Radicalrod, I know a guy that can make my box look like any box you like. Just ship the Python and I will send his link from GB. Quickly.

That said, I'm surprised this subject has not been booted. Ruger boxes on the Colt Forum?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I must be one of the very strange people around here.I was given a Detective Special cardboard box by one of my FFL friends and it is nice to have as a example of a correct box.I found a 1993 Plastic Colt D frame case for 80 dollars with a owners manual that I bought specifically for transporting one of my D Frames to Colt or a gunsmith if the need arises. To me the value is in the gun not the cardboard and all of my guns are shooters and have no use for a "Safe Queen"....JMHO.....Mike. I just hope that the Ruger Box Market doesn't get the likes of FCB Man...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Very interesting, I happen to have a Ruger Blackhawk box that looks alot like the one that just sold for $262. What do I look for to determine if mine has any value?
Is yours a 2 piece box like this one or one piece? You could have something worth alot, or you could have the NEW MODEL one piece Blackhawk boxes which look similar are very cheap about $20-$30 in nice condition. You could post pics in a new thread in the lounge section and tell you what you have/get an estimate of value from everyone here.

Someone got a good buy on this one imo at $262, I thought it would go for at least $300. Rarely ever get a good deal on ebay. I don't think I've EVER gotten a good deal on ebay. I always paid maximum value, which is why I didn't bother bidding lol.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
There's relatively few of Ruger's .357 Maximum available, both handgun or the carton, so I'd wager that box You have is quite valuable.
I'd hang on to that gun, because it's likely the value of the gun and box together will be very significant in years to come.
Yes I wouldnt ever separate a gun with the original box, that is crazy imo, but I have seen people do it. I remember seeing a guy do it about 2 years ago with a 98-99% Gold Box pre-14 Smith. He said he was going to sell the original grips separately too:bang_wall:.

There is a dealer at the local gun show who has been carrying a 357 maximum Blackhawk NIB (without the outer brown sleeve) for about a year priced either $975 or $995. He usually wont come off of prices much though on older NIB guns. They didnt make many, but they dont sell very well right now either from what I've seen anyway. Of course years down the road, it could be a big time sleeper. I would hang on to it too.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
JR, the early RUGER boxes didn't list a barrel length or model number as they only made the 4 5/8 357 at that time......later boxes list the barrel lengthg and model number.....the early boxes are a two piece lift off lid style...RR.

Well here is my best box story....I own the 357 Black Hawk serial number 96 (also 97) and was cruising EBAY and see an early NON CATALOGED box for sale....

Well the close up pics of the end show the red grease pencil number 96 :cool: :cool: :cool: YEP I paid a little more than this one sold for :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Ruger being a very young company in the world of guns (1950+/-??) where a "pre-war" Ruger would mean pre Viet Nam for most folks, Ruger collectors were about as rare as Dodo birds until recent years. Even now, most Rugers can hardly be considered "old" and collectors took a while to figure out which models and variations are in the "rare" and "scarce" categories, and prices are beginning to adjust accordingly. I have a buddy who likes Rugers and I sometimes elevate his blood pressure by asking him why he bothers with those "off brand" guns....:)

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
Colt boxes are of pretty good quality, in general. On the other hand, Ruger boxes tend to 'come unglued/taped' quite easily. A "Ruger Box Man" would probably have trouble finding inferior materials to match those used in the original boxes. However, I feel certain such 'knock-off' Ruger boxes will soon appear on the market.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
No doubt.

The WWII-era kraft boxes for M1911A1s have been faked even longer.

I knew a couple of 'entrepreneurs' that would buy them and carry them in the car trunk - sliding and bumping against one another for awhile, before being trotted out for sale.

Put a nice bit of 'age' to them, it did...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.