Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened to 50 feet and 25 yard distances?
These "Shoot-N-See" targets ate too difficult for me to get a good sight picture on at much further than 10 yards. They have a 6" dia. that I use, but I have not been able to get these lately. The range has them on order.

But for my Colts, ten yards is sufficient. I don't use the heavy loaded ammunition in them that I do in my Rugers. And the target carriers are sent downrange in yards, so fifty feet is an iffy point.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
These "Shoot-N-See" targets ate too difficult for me to get a good sight picture on at much further than 10 yards. They have a 6" dia. that I use, but I have not been able to get these lately. The range has them on order.

But for my Colts, ten yards is sufficient. I don't use the heavy loaded ammunition in them that I do in my Rugers. And the target carriers are sent downrange in yards, so fifty feet is an iffy point.

Bob Wright
50 feet and 25 and 50 yards are standard handgun distances for targeting. Just wondered why so many shoot at shorter distances. The target should not be part of your sight picture except for a fuzzy blob atop your front sight, like the dot on an i. Your eye should focus on the front sight and the target should be fuzzy. Your bullet will strike right at the top of where your front sight is looking so if the target is atop it when you sight, the bullet will be in there.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
50 feet and 25 and 50 yards are standard handgun distances for targeting. Just wondered why so many shoot at shorter distances. The target should not be part of your sight picture except for a fuzzy blob atop your front sight, like the dot on an i. Your eye should focus on the front sight and the target should be fuzzy. Your bullet will strike right at the top of where your front sight is looking so if the target is atop it when you sight, the bullet will be in there.
I'm sorry but I can't use the "fuzzy blob" sight picture. I use a defined arc in order to maintain correct deflection, or windage. I do concentrate on the front sight, but I must see the arc, otherwise my shots string out laterally.

And, too, my eyes aren't what they used to be, nor is my physical strength. Age does indeed take a toll.

And, as I said, my Colts are for plinking ranges, which may be ten feet, fifty feet, or 300 feet. My plinking targets have been coke cans, bottle caps, matchsticks, popsicle sticks, washing machines, car bodies, whatever the dump has had to offer.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigG, lest you think I do all close up shooting, a couple of targets from farther back:

And:

Also, the chickens are at 50 meters, the pigs at 100 meters, the turkeys at 150 meters, and the rams at 200 meters. I've shot these, but not with Colts.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dunno Bob. That New Frontier just isn't up to par. Better let her go. I know a fellow that could take her off your hands.
Mac
Bless you, Sir. But I think it better for all concerned for me to keep it under wraps, lest it be let loose on the public.

Thank you so much for your concern, however.

Bob Wright

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.