Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTB full size aluminum 1911 frame, not Commander size. I bought one marked RMT back in '81, but it cracked after only 18 years of use.

Also looking for shooter grade New Service or 1917.

In addition, I need a .44 Special cylinder or a .38 Special cylinder that can be rechambered.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am assuming that you want a cylinder for a New Service? I have a .38 Special cylinder,but one of its locking notches got peened over,as the gun was dropped by its previous owner. This is why I got the gun for a low price. The bolt tip was bent,but I had another. Couldn't find a gunsmith locally to "weld" the notch and cut a new one,so I repaired it with high tech epoxy. The other 5 notches are perfect. Found a "factory new" .357 magnum cylinder,at a gun show,so the 6" New Service,now carries that one. I would suspect that the machinist/smith who could rechamber this,could also weld and recut the notch.

Send me a PM if interested. P.S. No ratchet,or other parts with the cylinder,as I used these on the .357 cylinder,that came with "no extras". Bud

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a .38 cylinder and maybe a shooter New Service.

Still looking for an aluminum 1911 frame or if someone can point me towards a supplier that makes such a thing.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Colt rarely ever sells the government frames as a separate item, and the few I'm aware of were all steel. The only after market frames I've run across in a lightweight alloy, are the Para Ordnance high capacity alloy frames. I've built a couple of guns using the Para frames, and they are good quality. That's not to say others don't make an alloy 1911 frame, but only to say I have never found a source for them. Perhaps another member is aware of a source, or you might try asking questions on one of the 1911 forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts