Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detective Special Square Butt Stocks (grips) in good condition. I'm not looking for excellent condition. Just trying to find condition that matches the gun.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Expand your search to inclue Police Positive and Police Positive Speical stocks, since they are the same unless you get into the early small frames.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Here we go again on "D Frame" stocks! One of the most confusing(and potentially expensive mistakes) areas of Colt collecting,BOTH pre war and post war.

Addicted,you just can't say square butt D.S. stocks,unless you mean for the very first issue,1927-1933;some of these earliest guns were even marked P.P. Special.

From 1933 onwards,unless a special order,D.S. had rounded butts,but a full grip frame all the way to the bottom of the stocks. Then sometime around 1966,Colt decided to save an ounce of steel or alloy,and made the short grip frame,as they'd started on the Courier and the Agent in the mid 50's.

Oh,yeah,the Judge is correct,depending on the years,Police Positive and Police Positive Special stocks are identical-BUT-the problem was that prior to sometime in the 1920's BOTH guns had a shallower grip frame from front to back,thus later and earlier grips don't interchange.

Then we go to special order Cobras and Police Positive Specials after the war having square butts,and the ONLY safe way to get the correct stocks for a gun,is to try them on,or have an accurate tracing and depend on the intelligence/honesty of the seller if online.

Sorry,its damn confusing!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You're getting the straight skinny on the variations. It's a screwy mix of short, long, round, and square, butt types through the various models that Colt eventually decided to call the 'D' frames. Your best bet is to take it with you, scrounge a few gun shows, and trial fit them. This gives you a face to face look at what you're buying, a chance to pick better looking wood, and it's a heck of a lot more fun than browsing web sites. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The 'D' frame grips are fairly common and haven't went into orbit with some of the other Colt stuff, except for the Diamondback grips that are starting to climb in price.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
ok, perhaps i misunderstood. i am assuming he is looking for a pre 33 d/s stocks as he said sq butt. that being said, you are telling me that pre 33 pp and pp/s stocks are the same?? i always thought they were not, but i dont own a pps at this time to look. i now have an excuse for my next purchase. regards dux

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Put even simpler; the Detective Special IS a Police Positive Special with the 2" barrel! Since they came out in 1927,with the square butt,'til 1933(I have a 1932 vintage,and these guns are worth a premium),you won't have to worry about the narrow grips found on the earlier P.P. Specials. BUT get a tracing and accurate measurements.!

Bud

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
yes i know a police pos. spl. frame and d/s frame are same size. i also know bankers spl. and police pos. are the same size frame. but i did not know stocks for all are the same.was thinking the pp/s and d/s guns had a slightly longer frame, maybe 1/16. remember i am talking early guns here. everything pretty much standardized in 66{ sadly the pp and b/s were only memories by then} when they went to the short frame and just made extension stocks/grips. the only short frame gun that was not standard length was the courier, which i think was about 1/16 longer than the later short frame guns.i know i have 2 pr. stocks for courier and they will not fit anything else?? any how thanks for the info. regards dux. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
icdux;the Courier stocks will fit the early Agent. This was a Cobra,with that same short butt. Very concealable with a hammer shroud,but a "squirmer" in the hand,even with a grip adapter,and standard .38 loads. One of my neighbors in the 50's was a retired cop,and was a courier,who took super market cash deposits to the bank outside deposit doors. He had an old H&R hammerless,but traded it for one of the first Agents to hit the market,around 1955. Keeping in mind,that we fired "one handed" back then,my neighbor never really liked practicing with the Agent. He had big mitts and the gun just felt too small,until he pulled the trigger!

Bud

·
Registered
7 Posts
Addicted, these will also work on the det.special short d frame sq.buttI don't have the screw for them cost $30.00 shipped
[/URL][/image]
[/URL][/image]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My DS is in only good condition. I'm only looking for stocks in good condition. Something in the $15 range. My DS is a early 1st issue in Nickel and the finish is only about 70%. If my gun was 90%+ I'd jump on these stocks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, Correct me if I'm wrong but these are not proper square butt stocks. I'm not saying they won't work but I'm looking for original stocks for a very early DS square butt. The bottom should be square on both lower corners.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I posted this pic before, but here is the difference between the first 2" PPS/DS square butt and the later round butt stocks.

I think these are what you want.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking for square butt stocks for a 1932 Detective Special. THX,

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Maybe yes, maybe no. My eye tells me the stocks pictured on the eBay listing may well be the early Model G small frame size used up until about 1925, which will not be right for a later Model C frame shape. My early Police Positive Special 2-inch made in 1926 has the small frame, and the stocks will not interchange with my early Detective Special made in 1927, which has the C frame.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thats what I think too about those stocks currently for sale on eBay,but sometimes you have to "let em' live and learn"! At least get some accurate measurements from the seller-prior to biddin.

I bought a set at a gun show,that were too narrow,but paid little for them,and sold em' off later to someone with an early P.P.

When going to shows(or shops,flea markets),it pays to carry card(s) with the tracing of the stocks you are seeking. Especially valuable for the S&W K & N Frames,as I am just not "good enough" to always tell the difference.

Bud

1 - 17 of 17 Posts