Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a set of grips for a Det. Special 1st issue 1931 vintage (square butt).
Anyone have a set or know where I could find some?

Thanks,
ElKabong

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Elkabong; Make sure any potential seller emails you a lifesize tracing of their stocks and measurements. A Police Positive Special,from that era would also fit. They should be wood,checkered,with a silver Colt medallion.

Colt changed grip frame sizes prior to this,and some of the earlier stocks,from say a Police Positive or Police Positive Special,even though wood,and not black "hard rubber" will be too narrow for your 1931 D.S. frame.

The "D" frame situation after W.W. Two is nearly as confusing,with shorter grip frames,"fillers" at bottom of stocks,and even some square butts thrown in on some Police Positive Special and rare longer bbl. Cobra models! Good Luck. Bud

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Elkabong; Make sure any potential seller emails you a lifesize tracing of their stocks and measurements. A Police Positive Special,from that era would also fit. They should be wood,checkered,with a silver Colt medallion.

Colt changed grip frame sizes prior to this,and some of the earlier stocks,from say a Police Positive or Police Positive Special,even though wood,and not black "hard rubber" will be too narrow for your 1931 D.S. frame.

The "D" frame situation after W.W. Two is nearly as confusing,with shorter grip frames,"fillers" at bottom of stocks,and even some square butts thrown in on some Police Positive Special and rare longer bbl. Cobra models! Good Luck. Bud
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just added a late 50's D/S to my "police marked" revolver collection. It came to me w/aftermarket grips. Which are the correct ones for this gun? This Colt grip thing is just too complicated........!!

Charles

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
UNLESS your D.S. from the late 50's was special ordered,it will have a rounded butt. So look for full length stocks,a little over 3 inches long with NO FILLER,wood pieces at the bottom. In other words,the metal bottom of the butt will show when the stocks are put on. As viewed from their rear,the stocks will be totally flat. Good Luck,and measure your grip frame to be sure They shouldn't be too hard to find,such as on eBay,but if the description and photos still leave you "questions",ask the seller question PRIOR to bidding. Some of the early Cobras and post war Police Positive Specials also had identical stocks to your D.S. Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts