Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a set of original grips for a 1960 Colt Python with gold medallions.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
To find a set of "correct" grips for the 1960 may be difficult , and EXPENSIVE. The 1960 Python came with an "oiled" rather than varnished finish and are unique to that particular year Python. Here is a picture of what the finish looks like. These are on a 1960 Model ThreeFiftySeven, so the medallion is silver rather than gold. Notice what a "flat looking" finish they have...

Reactions: cloverleaf and Kerz

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To find a set of "correct" grips for the 1960 may be difficult , and EXPENSIVE. The 1960 Python came with an "oiled" rather than varnished finish and are unique to that particular year Python.
Please keep me in mind if you come across a pair. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To find a set of "correct" grips for the 1960 may be difficult , and EXPENSIVE. The 1960 Python came with an "oiled" rather than varnished finish and are unique to that particular year Python. Here is a picture of what the finish looks like. These are on a 1960 Model ThreeFiftySeven, so the medallion is silver rather than gold. Notice what a "flat looking" finish they have... View attachment 704208

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see that finish now... Do you have a picture of grips that go on the 1960 even though it doesn't have the right finish?
From what i can tell , it looks like there was 2 styles for that year but i dont trust what i am reading.
And if i settle for a pair that do not have the correct finish, how does that affect the value..
thanks again for your help

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
As long as they are second generation "smilie" grips, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
It was during the 1960 year Colt changed from fully checked to the "smiley" stocks. I have serial #9400 which was made in July of that year and has the fully checkered stocks.

Reactions: snakeman99

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I guess I wasn't aware that the first gun full checkered stocks were still being used by the Python in early 1960. Learn something new here every day!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I don't think you do. Someone out there might know an very rough approximate range, but Colt probably used up old inventory and "phased in" the new style over time. A good starting point might be to order a Archive letter from Colt and request the manufacture date. At least you'd know if it was early or late 1960 production.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts