Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Colt Cobra 1st Model Serial # 115071 LW
.38 Spc. Father carried this one for 27 years in law enforcement. Any dating info appreciated.

2. New Service (Cal. .455 Eley unaltered)
barrel 7 1/2 inches. Excellent checkered wood grips. Serial 414274 no British marks. Date of mfg. Canadian Commercial??
Thanks

------------------
Got any carbines?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I also located a Official Police in 38-200 cal. with No british property marks or proofs that I can identify. It does have a W in a box on the left side of the frame near the top. the top of the box is not flat but looks VV.
Any ideas on that one serial is 667739 Thanks.

------------------
Got any carbines?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cobra: made in 1961

New Service: Per R.L. Wilson, the last of the New Service revolvers was assembled in 1944, and carried a serial number of about 356,000. Most New Service revolvers were numbered on the crane and on the frame below the barrel where the crane hides the numbers, not on the butt.

Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry made a typo on the New Service Serial
314274 Sorry for the confusion.
Barrel and frame numbered David

------------------
Got any carbines?

[This message has been edited by Elmer1007 (edited 07-05-2003).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe your O.P.'s marking is the "W in a crown" (yeah, I know; it doesn't really look like a crown!) that is found on some guns, specifically including .38-200 Official Police revolvers, sent overseas in 1940-42, but no one seems to know for sure what it means. Some sources posit that it stands for the British Royal Woolwich Arsenal and others theorize it is a Dutch proof mark, with the "W" standing for Queen Wilhemina. The latter would be explained by the fact that the Brits armed many of the free forces of occupied nations with .38-200 revolvers.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts