Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this box of WW 2 vintage 45 caliber ammo. The box shows this as RIMMED ammo, I was not aware of military issued rimmed 45 ACP ammo.
Can anyone add anything ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's because it isn't .45 ACP ammo. It is .45 Colt and specifically intended for the Colt New Service revolver. I didn't know that the Govt. purchased .45 Colt ammunition as late as 1944. Pretty interesting. I think the word "rimmed" was printed on the box just to avoid people assuming that .45 Colt was the same as .45 ACP.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had not opened the box so after reply I did and is it 45 Long Colt. After Dunkirk England bought all sorts of handguns so I guess it is not suprising to see this ammo.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
DC : Dominion Cartridge mfg ?

It's marked Canada so maybe assume it's intended for the many RCMP issued New Service revolvers ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believed it was military due to the date and the number of cartridges in the box, maybe for RCMP?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A poster on the Smith ans Wesson forum advised that the Canadian Navy had obtained .45 Colt New Services and this ammunition was for those guns. I was asked for a photo of ammunition out of the box.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Wow, those look like balloon-head cases! I would have thought they'd be solid-head by 1944.
I think that is an optical illusion. The primers do not appear to be the same as those found in Balloon Head cases from my experience...

Nice Find !:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts