Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying this pistol but something seems fishy. It is listed as a ww2 colt the guy says the vet who braught it back wiped the markings on it. It is an A1 model and he says it's from 1944. The serial number comes up as colt 1914 on proof house. The frame does say united states property. Can you help???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
The pics are too poor for much more than speculation... the United States Property stamp is in the wrong place for a 1911A1 frame. Grips are at best Vietnam era replacements, at worst recent rubber replacement s. If we take story at face value and the vet wiped "marks" off frame, then its value as a collectable piece is null. At worst, this is an outright fabrication.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW serial number is listed as No 65023 I'm thinking the same OctopusHighball

·
Registered
91 Posts
If markings been tampered with, I would make VERY certain that the serial # hasn't also been tampered with. If the serial # is legit, I reckon it would make a good shooter, but wouldn't pay much for it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What gets me is the serial number is from ww1 but the frame is obviously not

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right. ..but the frame is a m1911-A1 not the m1911 from that year...looking to see if there were any other makers other than those listed in porter house with that serial number on 1944 that would coraburate his story....

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
Pictures are too bad to tell, but someone completely scrubbed it or it is an aftermarket receiver, and depending on which may now has a bogus serial number. Looks like the grip horn was modified for a beavertail grip safety.

Pass, as it may be illegal to possess.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Was stumbling around some other sights today, came across a GSG that had grips that look REALLY similar. I wonder if the frame could be GSG also? Like JohnnyP pointed out, the rear tangs do look cut for a beavertail, and it is a close match on the gray color. I am leaning more and more towards total fabrication. Stay away from that problem child.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep, if it were that early, it wouldn't have the relief cut aft of the trigger gaurd. Notice on mine (1914 frame) does not have that cut (the bottom one).

·
Registered
73 Posts
JUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Do not waste your money on this trash> Serial number is bogus if not illegal. Must of been renumbered in someone's garage, may of been stolen, that is the only reason to renumber this pistol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys will be passing on this one

Reactions: SHOOTER13

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is a reproduction. So many red flags, for example 1)the position of the mark United States Property should be on the other side, because that position mark was used for WW1 standard unit. 2) Frame has no stamp markings. 3)the shape of the frame near the trigger guard is made of modern reproductions. Best way to check is to disassemble the firing pin, there you are supposed to see the same serial numbers, and if there is none...it is positive to be a reproduction

1 - 19 of 19 Posts