Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a colt from ww2 I would love to get a lesson on. Here is all the info I know. Colt 1911a1 serial number 1108xxx included the pics of all the marks and so on. Not in any of the pics but in the trigger guard on the left side there is a 8 above what looks like a triangle. Also if I were to find another one with the same marks in this condition what should I look to get it for? It functions well and is fairly tight 1911 especially considering its use. All info is very much appreciated figured of all places should get good info here.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
It was shipped in the August 1943 time period, and the slide should be serial numbered under the firing pin stop plate to the receiver. There should be a two digit number on the right side of the trigger guard, and this identifies the person that assembled the pistol. On the left side of the trigger guard is the triangle with VP enclosed in the triangle, and above that I would expect to find a letter rather than an 8, and this letter identifies the Colt employee that did the final inspection before it went to the Ordnance inspector.

The VP is for Verified Proof, and indicates that the pistol had passed all Colt tests and inspections.

Value depends on whether the slide is still matching to the receiver, and whether it has the correct barrel or not. Assuming these match I would expect to see one in that condition in the $1750 range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The first thing I learned from a Walther collector years ago and I'm sure most here have heard it " Buy the gun, not the story". Also the first thing that comes to mind now when I'm at the gun shows listening to some incredible yarns. Regardless, it's a great looking pistol with a little mystery around it -maybe. Enjoy it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.