Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 1918 colt with the incorrect grips what sites do you recommend for me to find the WW1 grips or where I can possibly do a trade?
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
The original grips are worth a great deal more than the grips you currently have. Your best bet is to look on ebay and gunbroker but hold on to your shorts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Johnny,
When the went through did they retain the flat mainspring housing and long trigger or did they try to bring them up to "A1" configuration/ I have seen them both ways and do not know which is correct
Your 1911 appears to be a rebuild, and the Keyes stocks on it would be correct. With the phosphate finish you can't back it up to the original configuration.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Johnny,
When the went through did they retain the flat mainspring housing and long trigger or did they try to bring them up to "A1" configuration/ I have seen them both ways and do not know which is correct
While no effort was made to keep the original parts together, they tended to put any serviceable 1911 small parts back on the 1911 receivers. The long trigger was just better on the 1911 receiver since it did not have the finger cutouts like the 1911A1 receiver, and in reverse they didn't want to use the 1911 parts on a 1911A1 rebuild.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
When I was in the Marines I was an Armorer and the pistol I carried in the Armory was a M1911 that seemed to have the right parts in it. Yes it was parkerized.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Here is a photo of my Colt 1911 with the frame made in 1917 that was reworked at the RIA and it still hase the flat mainspring Housing, but the WWII Keyes stocks.

Enlarged Photo.jpg

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
It is also noteworthy that at the time WWII started only 50,000 or so Colt Model 1911A1 pistols had been built, so there wouldn't have been many 1911A1 parts available for rebuilds up to that time. When the other manufacturers got kicked off late in 1942 and early 1943 it wouldn't be long before there would be a lot more parts in the pipeline.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnny why would you see it is a rebuild, the marks on the slide and the reciever all match that of the seriel number for it being a 1918 the only thing that is incorrect is the grips and the mag release catch? thanks

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
In the small part of the pistol shown it appears to have a phosphate (Parkerized) finish. Is it still in the original blue finish?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no you are right the guy i purchased it from told me it was in his family for years and that his dad had it parkerized. I called colt and the slide frame and barrel all have the correct stamps for the period. The only thing I see that is incorrect is the mag release and the grips other than that seems to be a complete 1918. I have already ordered the mag catch from a 1914 and hunting down some grips. in your opinion do you think it is not worth going after the grips?

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't. The reproduction 1911 stocks look like reproduction stocks, and an original set will probably cost from $250 up depending on condition. Whether the phosphate finish was military or civilian, that is what it is now. The Keyes stocks are more correct for a phosphate finish.

Unless Colt has a Clawson book I would question whether they knew the parts were correct or not. They did not keep that type of records.

How about some better photos.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
received_10204166959806638.jpeg-1.jpg received_10204166959766637.jpeg-1.jpg received_10204166959686635.jpeg.jpg here you go Johnny, let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Can't see any of the markings except in the last photo which shows the slide markings. Whether military of civilian refinished it doesn't make any difference now, and since the Keyes stocks are commonly found on refinished Model 1911's I wouldn't put any money into original stocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts