Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A man that I know has offered me his 1911 pistol that he inherited from his uncle. His uncle was a Marine in WWII. Based on the serial number it was made in 1919, Serial # 6233XX I do not know much about these pistols but in my opinion it is in excellent condition for a pistol that is close to 100 years old, no rust, no pitting very good rifling. The bluing has faded to a blue gray but it is still present without any bare spots due to holster wear. It also has the original holster. I am trying to determine a fair price.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Many variables and you will almost certInly need to post some detailed pics to establish a price. in my mind it goes something like this.
1. Is it an original or a re-arsenal?
2. If it is believed to be original have any parts been changed?
3. What is condition?

simply a lot of variables to talk about without pics....

·
Premium Member
19,858 Posts
I am no expert on the WW-1 45 autos, but I do own a 45 with a frame that is serialized in the 6xx.xxx range.
I found one source that indicated that some of the Colt frames numbered in that range went to US Marines,
but it did not indicate that all frames were used for WW-1 45 autos. Maybe some were used to build 1911A1's??
I will be interested in comments by our Forum experts.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
The serial number indicates that it was built in 1919. Quite a few of the late Model 1911 pistols went to Nicaragua with the Marines following WWI. I have a 621000 range 1911 that the family said was carried to Nicaragua by a Marine relative, but nothing to confirm that.

I have a few USMC issued 1911 pistol serial numbers if you want to send me the serial number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the picture. The man's uncle was also a US Marine. This pistol is in as good of condition as yours, the holster is black, but the pistol is very similar. The slide of his is less blue than the frame just like yours.

It is a 618k range pistol that was a complete package pickup from a vets family

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
933 Posts
Condition, originality and provenance is EVERYTHING. Without knowing specifics, you could range from $1,000 - $3,000, in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts