Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I believed it's been discussed that the military ordered square butt detective specials even though factory configuration for the DS was round butt since about 1933.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believed it's been discussed that the military ordered square butt detective specials even though factory configuration for the DS was round butt since about 1933.
That's correct, but there have been no parkerized military DS guns posted from WWII with the square butt.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
If that revolver was parkerized from the factory, wouldn't the hammer flats be parkerized as well?

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I know the seller and his ability to spin a story. I have one of the 5,000 WWII square butt Detectives with a nice blue finish, and I only paid $1,100. :) Also, roll marks just look refinished. Just compare it to a Commando, which despite the finish had beautiful clear roll marks. Not this gun.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
RA-P is arsenal mark for Raritan Arsenal. I don't see bright hammer or blue trigger coming out of an arsenal rebuild.

Colt letters on military handguns aren't always correct as in the case of the phosphate finished Pocket Hammerless .32's and Model 1911A1 pistols.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
This is certainly not the kind of "parkerizing" Colt did during the war. Compare it to the finish on a Commando. Colt's contract specified the original Parco-Lubrite; this has more of a greenish sheen to it, it reminds me more of a well-smoothed Black Magic oxide on a Victory. The contrast in color tone between trigger and gun is rather pronounced.

The finish does look quite old, but it is definitely not factory. Some government arsenal during or shortly after the war? Could be. No way to be sure.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was told by Charlie Flick that there were no parkerised US Detective specials when I saw one for sale last year.
Yes, correct. More specifically, it is my belief that there were no USGI Detective Special revolvers produced with factory original Parkerized/phosphate/Dulite/Black Magic or other similar finish.

If anyone has such a USGI DS with a factory letter establishing that type of Parkerized/phosphate/Dulite/Black Magic or other similar finish as original to the gun I would be pleased to learn of it.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts