Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a 1944 built Official Police with a 4" barrel, s/n 710101G. Believe it or not, this piece appears to be virtualy unfired. I need some help with its history.

I Have determined that it was shipped to the US Coast Guard, Commander Operational test and Evaluation Force in Baltimore Maryland. Frrom there it some how found its way to the Boing Aircraft Company in Retton, WA. The but is stamped
"DPC 30547-112 BACR. I think that the "BACR" is Boing Aircraft Company Retton", but the "DPC" has me stumped. It is not the normal weapon distribution folks that existed in WWII (that was the DSC). In addition it has a (very faint) stsmping on the frame directly above the cyl release that appears to be a "flaming bomb" mark

Does anyone know what "DPC" stood for?

Thanks

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, you haven't been ignored completely. I don't know the answer and I haven't come up with any good guesses from some searching, but there are some military oriented collectors here and I'm surprised that nothing has been offered yet. :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I'll bite. There was one of those WW2 entities created called the Defense Plant Corporation. It was a joint effort between the government and large industrialists to speedily create factories for the war effort. Many of these were aircraft factories. I would guess that your O.P. was issued to Boeing and that the number 30547-112 was Boeing's designated DPC contractor code. Below is a small blurb about the DPC...

"To speed munitions production, the federal government involved itself to an unprecedented degree in financing the expansion of industrial facilities, in part by creating partnerships with entrepreneurs such as Henry Kaiser and Henry Ford. The principal government agency responsible for this activity was the Defense Plant Corporation (DPC), which provided funds to build or expand war plants. The DPC financed construction of new factories, which were then operated under lease by designated contractors. By 1945 the DPC had funded over a thousand industrial facilities worth almost 7 billion dollars. More than half of this money was spent on aircraft industrial facilities ; in all the government financed over 90 percent of wartime expansion in the aircraft industry."

I'm afraid that's about all I know, but I would say that it's a good bet that your O.P. has a Defense Plant Corporation connection.

-Bob

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Boeing's plant guards had some interesting sidearms.

IIRC,some S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty (N Frames) were sold surplus by a mail order dealer in one of the ads in the gun mags in the late 50's-mid 60's,BUT it might have been in a Gun List or SGN I used to subscribe to in the late 80's!! I also can't recall if they were pre or post war manufacture!!

Bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a million all, I believe that you have nailed it!! It is a really nice old Colt, and even if OPs are not considered collectors pieces, this onewill stay in my "collection".

·
Registered
907 Posts
FWIW, Pate's book lists two WWII Commandos with DPC markings - "meaning unknown" according to him. I think the mystery is solved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently retired from Boeing and all the guns the guards carried were the Colt OP and S&W model 10's when I left Renton for Wichita, Kansas.
For a long time they could carry their own weapons, but later on, they had to carry Boeing-issue only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts