Discussion Starter #1
All,
New here. Hello.
I just bought what I thought was a 1911 Government 01070XSE Stainless
a5afecfb5f72f9b5353453c42c7fe36b53aaca43-1.jpg

Here is the Pistol.
DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

In looking at other Colt 1911 Government XSE's online, they look slightly different. The XSE's online have 3 holes in the trigger, and the rear sight looks different.
There are a handful of other differences that I've noticed.
Here is a photo of an XSE found online:
O1070XSE-1.jpg

So my question is this.
Do I have an XS model? or and XSE?
Clearly my box says XSE, but it does not look like other XSEs online.

Any help here on this?
-Wayne

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Aftermarket stocks...trigger looks to have swapped out. Depending on time of manufacture Colt used different design rear sights.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
The model number on the box label would end in XS, not XSE, if it was an XS. I have an XS Commander and an XS Government Model and both box labels read so.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The beaver tale is the early style duck bill type which would be an early type used by colt enhanced model. Does it have a flat top on the slide?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have a Delta Elite with a flat top and duck bill safety and solid trigger. It is an enhanced model. No serrations on the slide.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's an early XSE. The only thing I can see that's not original are the grips. The trigger is original; Colt used these McCormick 2-hole triggers on XSs and early XSEs. The 3-dot sights and "duckbill" grip safety are other early XSE features.

I prefer the early style XSEs and bought one in blue and stainless (obviously my blue XSE is from a slightly later production as evidenced by the 3-hole trigger that Colt used for the rest of the XSE's production run). The third XSE is chambered in 9mm which Colt made toward the end of XSE's production run. XSEs came with rosewood double diamond grips but as you can see I prefer medallion grips so that's what I replaced them with. The Combat Elite ended up a derivative of the XSE and I included my early CE for completeness:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your help.
Based on what I've read, it would appear that I have an early model XSE with custom grips.
I appreciate all the responses.
Thank you again.
-Wayne.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Too bad the previous owner did not put the original stocks in the box. A lot of folk like those Pachmayr American Legend grips. If you don't like them you could probably sell them at your gun club or someplace like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had an early Xse officers acp lightweight model it had the to hole trigger and the dorky tall rear sight. I also think that gun you have is stock except for the grips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts