Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Now I'm wondering myself. Doing a bit of research today and still have not found the definition for the XSE acronym. Hopefully someone here will find it before me so I can stop this maddening goose chase!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Xtra Special Enhancements ?
This makes sense. Here's what I've found so far at www.thefreelibrary.com. This is an excerpt from James Tarr's article in the Aug 21, 2013 issue of "Guns and Ammo." He primarily examines the Mustang XSP, but makes reference to the XSE also.

In case you're wondering what "XSP" stands for (my guess was "XTra Special Polymer"), RJ Contorno of Colt explained, "XSP is sort of a carryover from our XSE series of pistols. The XSE line is a line with many upgrades from our standard line, such as dovetailed front and rear sights, etc. We changed the 'E' to a 'P' simply because the new Mustang has a polymer grip frame."
And this item from Frank W. James' article in the March 10, 2011 issue of Shotgun News:

Colt also offers upgraded versions with their "XSE Series of 1911, pistols that Carry a number of features that were formerly the province of aftermarket suppliers and custom pistol makers. Other offerings in the 1911 product line from Colt include the Colt Rail Gun, the Colt Defender, the Colt New Agent and the Colt New Agent Double Action Only. The Colt Gold Cup is available but it can also be had in various upgraded models for both competition use, duty and use as a personal defense weapon.
I hope no one else is confused here. I've found references to XSE as cars, Marvel comics, Chinese solar makers, etc.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I did have it figured out at one time from the Colt website, I think. Something about enhanced.
As to extra sharp edges. That is really not far off.
This from another forum:

Re: Yeee Hawwww, my new Colt 1911 XSE is on it's way.
if it's stainless the foward serrations can double up as a razor they are so sharp! Not sure why colt doesn't dehorn them, you'll see what I mean. Otherwise it's a tip top gun, ...

That was my experience, also the slide edges, on the blued model. I guess they have worn down a bit over time.

dc

·
Registered
8 Posts
All I can add is that prior to the XSE there was the XS. I bought a XS Commander for my brother in 2001 as a gift for being my best man. I believe the XS was only in production for a year or two prior to giving way to the XSE. Never knew what XS stood for but read the E stood for Enhanced. Just my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.