Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an authorized Randall dealer for over thirty years and everywhere I go folks either own, have owned or would like to own a Randall Made knife. Of course I have lots of images but I would enjoying seeing your Randall knives.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Mine's a Model 1 - with a 6" stainless blade, nickel-silver hilt and a black linen micarta handle, in a 'Johnson Roughback' scabbard - though when I got it, there was no such designation - it was just a sheath with a stone.

It has my name and serial number etched on the blade.

My first tour, I carried a Model 15 'Airman' that I sold to my Medic to finance it - we both still have them - and it's been everywhere they can send a soldier that's difficult to spell - on a couple of occasions, more than once - and it's done so for several decades - and still looks good doing it...

Back then, an APO address made a world of difference in getting one out of Orlando and into a soldier's hands - I only waited a couple of months.

In SEA, a 'lot' of custom knives were carried - Randalls, Ruanas, Morseths, Coopers, etc. - all the professionals had them, and wore Rolexes and Omegas, too.

Today, it's Casios and modern-styled Ka-Bars.

Times changed...

There's another thread on Randalls here, somewhere - with a lot of good photos.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back then, an APO address made a world of difference in getting one out of Orlando and into a soldier's hands - I only waited a couple of months.
It's still that way today. After 75 years Randall still puts service men and women with orders at the front of the line. This is one of the reasons that there is a 50 month waiting time for a new Randall. Specific Randall fighting models can be had, at catalog prices, in a couple of months with deployment orders.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
If I have to wait in line for 50 months or more to be able to purchase a Randall Knife, then that's the way it is.

I think it's absolutely marvelous that Randall does this. What an honor it would be, to be able to say that I ordered a Randall knife, but I can't get it yet because a soldier needed it more than I do. I would wait in line for fifty years if that's what it takes.

God bless all our servicemen, past and present.

Bud

It's still that way today. After 75 years Randall still puts service men and women with orders at the front of the line. This is one of the reasons that there is a 50 month waiting time for a new Randall. Specific Randall fighting models can be had, at catalog prices, in a couple of months with deployment orders.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I ordered a model 1, Commando Black Micarta handle, double nickel hilt, nickel butt cap with black n silver spacers and black sheath for my oldest son now 9 just over 12 months ago and I'm gonna put another order in soon for my youngest almost 6. I figure it'll be cool to hand them such a fine knife at some point and they can pass'em on down to their kids. Awesome history with Randell Knives and made just up the road from me.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That does indeed look like David Perdue's engraving but who carved the bear, it's great!

PS. That model #23 is one of the first Randall's I ever scrimshawed and one of perhaps
three or four that I've worked on both sides.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
No Randalls but I have a nice Hedrick made mini copy of a Randall Gambler that I got from Rick. Rick you may remember me from knifeforums as bigdaddy. Rick does some really great scrimshaw and is Randall's "only recommended" scrimshanders.

My ex-wife was a scrimshander as well and I have some of her work - I really like the 1911 stocks she did for me.

I am now looking for a Randall Guardian, I thik its a model 24-4; my mini gambler could be its little brother. Do you have one Rick? Black micarta handle, 4 or 5" blade?

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
That does indeed look like David Perdue's engraving but who carved the bear, it's great!

PS. That model #23 is one of the first Randall's I ever scrimshawed and one of perhaps
three or four that I've worked on both sides.
Rick, I knew that the #23 was some of your earlier work, My photography does not do it justice.
As for the bear carving, I have no idea who might have executed that. I obtained that knife from an estate sale.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I only have two but plan on getting a few more. The first one is my newest and will be used for hunting / hiking. The second one is for SHTF use only.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.