Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a general rule, I don't go to yard sales. The wife and I were out driving and happened to pass a yard sale where she saw a piece of furniture that interested her so we stopped to take a look. She is looking at the furniture and I ask if they have any gun stuff. The lady hauls this old Colt out. I'm thinking someone ruined a nice old Colt but I look at it and it appears all the numbers on the frame match. There is no number on the cylinder that I can see. All four clicks when cocking the hammer. The grips are obviously not correct and don't fit at all. It is a little loose but appears as if it would be safe to shoot so I ask how much and she says $100. I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price. We didn't buy the piece of furniture in case anyone is interested.
I get it home and look it over and it's a 44-40, which you can just make out on the trigger guard. The bore and chambers look good with no pitting and the lands actually look fairly sharp. The barrel has been polished so much you can just make out some of the stamping on the very top and with my poor photography skills, I couldn't get to show up in a picture. I looked up the serial number and if I read the chart right it is from 1881.
I've never owned a 1st generation SAA and really don't know much about them. I do own a couple of 2nd generations and more than a few 3rd's so I'm not new to Colt SAA's but I'll admit I know next to nothing about the 1st generation guns. I do know that this is black powder only. I don't want to restore it but I would like to shoot it. I would like to see if it's possible to tighten it up and if so who would you recommend? Any other information on what I have would be appreciated. Were these produced with one piece grips? There isn't any pin in the frame that I'm used to seeing with the two piece grips.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Professionally might be a bit of an overstatement. None of us would of left there without it for $100.00.

Shoot it, enjoy it. Nice find for the $.

Several gifted smiths on this forum.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
What a find! We don't have yard sales as such over here (at least I've never seen one) but were do have car boot (trunk) sales where folks turn up and pay for a pitch to sell their old stuff. All I ever come across is other folks junk. Are those custom shop grips? If so I guess they might be worth close to your purchase price.

Rio

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
From the looks of them, the stocks alone are worth the buy-in. The rest is icing on the cake. Am gonna start asking about "gun stuff" while DW is ogling old furniture.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Those grips look to me like from a Seville or similar vintage Single Action. Not really custom grips but a take off from another revolver that looked vaguely like a Colt SAA!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
The polishing looks OK and they left the patent dates on! That's always a big thing to me. It goes to show to always ask about gun stuff. I just got a paper shredder at a yard sale. Whoopie!! For another $95 bucks I'd rather have bought a Colt. The fun part now is finding good grips for it.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a couple of questions about this revolver.
Should this have one piece grips? There is no pin in the grip frame that would anchor the two piece grips and there doesn't appear to have any place on the grip frame a pin would go.
Should this have a serial number stamped in the cylinder as I have seen on other earlier vintage revolvers?
This does have an assembly number on the loading gate that is supposed to match one on the trigger guard. Would the assembly number be on the underside of the trigger guard necessitating the removal of the trigger guard to see it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
BARgunner,

If there is No Pin for the grips and there is NO HOLE where a pin was, the revolver was shipped from the factory with one-piece stocks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts