Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks i am new to the forum, I picked up a three didgit 8## serial numbered model 1900 colt,38acp, a few days ago at a yardsale, correct sight safty as descrided in current standard catalouge,and flayderman, smooth wood grips, serations at rear of slide, gun was said to be found in attic on rafter, sharp marking no refinishing, ejector side looks nicer than opposite side, some blue left in places, but appears to have flaked in others, no magazine was found with gun, barrel has like new blue finish beneath reciever, and forms a bell at muzzle end, no bushing like a 1911,.
what do i look for to see if it is one of the government contract guns, if they were made in the 800 serial # range.
I bought it for $100.00 so i feel like i am okay, and wonder were i could get a correct mag for the gun?

------------------
hangin in there like a hair in a biscuit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
What a great find! You might be able to use a 1902-3 model magazine, I personally would not shoot it for fear of breaking something. It is a collector's type. Worth more than 1000$ easy. No pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunfish:
What a great find! You might be able to use a 1902-3 model magazine, I personally would not shoot it for fear of breaking something. It is a collector's type. Worth more than 1000$ easy. No pics?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have pics dont know how to post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
You can use photobucket.com, it is free. Load your pics there and then you can stick them in here using
commands. It is very easy, there are instructions at photobucket website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunfish:
You can use photobucket.com, it is free. Load your pics there and then you can stick them in here using
commands. It is very easy, there are instructions at photobucket website.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
sold it today at gunshow for $2000.00 as is, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
That is quite a tale. You used to hear about old Parker shotguns turning up like that in yard sales. They got bought for a song and sold for thousands. Congratulations Potlicker! (Interesting user name.) Would love to see a photo of that gun??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 22-rimfire:
That is quite a tale. You used to hear about old Parker shotguns turning up like that in yard sales. They got bought for a song and sold for thousands. Congratulations Potlicker! (Interesting user name.) Would love to see a photo of that gun?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
will this one do

some folks talk s%%$#, some dont
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate a smart ass, now i dont know much about old colts, short guns are really not my thing, but classic doubles are, you got the funds i got a few, parkers, fox,flues,grassers, nids(those last three are ithaca's, how about virgin RRB's and trapdoors, 03's, flints, civil war, indian war


http://www.hunt101.com/img/261858.jpg[IMG]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/261859.jpg same user name on the hunt 101 sight, and
many other honest forums,


[This message has been edited by potlicker (edited 03-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by potlicker (edited 03-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by potlicker (edited 03-08-2005).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.hunt101.com/img/261858.jpg[img]

for the rest of you guts I want to thank you for your helpful attitude, thanks,

[This message has been edited by potlicker (edited 03-08-2005).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
That's a fine old piece. The first in a long line. I'm sure that the buyer was glad to get it. Thanks for the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
I see a few military rifles in there. I started with them. Then a military 1917 Colt revolver, then S&W revovlers, then Savage pocket pistols, and lately Colt commercial handguns. Yardsales are in my future maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunfish:
That's a fine old piece. The first in a long line. I'm sure that the buyer was glad to get it. Thanks for the picture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks gunfish, this forum does not have a little button to click that brings up commands like the other forums i been on, I did not know,or realize i could type in the commands,(still having trouble linking photo of 1903 stack) i woke my wife and had her show me how, i am still new to this modern way of communicating. I am sorry if the above outburst seems like bragging, just trying to get a sniper off my 6, if you are ever down my way i will love for you to drop by, I always like to talk guns,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunfish:
I see a few military rifles in there. I started with them. Then a military 1917 Colt revolver, then S&W revovlers, then Savage pocket pistols, and lately Colt commercial handguns. Yardsales are in my future maybe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I saw a long gun on the wagon and stoped to look, found the old colt, woman asked what i would give, i never price the other persons gun she asked if i would give a $100.00, and i did, i also give her $100.00 for a old rusty pitted loose 12 guage iver johnson single shot, the wood will clean up well, but i will trash the metal parts or give them to a local bedroom gunsmith,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Muley Gil:
Could we meet at the boll weevil monument?


WAR EAGLE!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would prefere a nice mexican restarunt, like labamba
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by potlicker:
I would prefere a nice mexican restarunt, like labamba opps all most forgot ROLL TIDE!!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
Potlicker, I have to say that I am extremely impressed. I was not trying to slight your user name. I just found it an unusual choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 22-rimfire:
Potlicker, I have to say that I am extremely impressed. I was not trying to slight your user name. I just found it an unusual choice. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
if undue offence was taken then i do appologise, my granddaddy gave me the nickname as a small child, as many folks know me by it as by name
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
wait a minute now .i have a difficult time beleiving you got a 1903 colt in that kinda condition for 100 bucks then sold it for 2 thousand.but the hadest one to swallow is 100 bucks for a IJ single shot thats in crappy condition? makes no sence to me .call me sceptical!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top