Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The only date that matches that serial number was made in 1952 and is for the Officer's Model Special.

Colt serial numbers and production gets really confusing around then.
The Officer's Model, Officer's Model Match, the Officer's Model Special, and the Trooper are all intermixed and sharing the same serial number ranges around then.

As near as I can tell, the serial number range for the OM started in 1952 with 788450 and ended that year at ?? when production stopped. The next year, all production was apparently for the Officer's Model Match, only.

My data shows the OMS 1952 production numbers as 788450-9211. What this means is uncertain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just this evening learned from the person I bought this and several other guns from his collection today, that this gun was made in 1914. It is listed on page 374 of RL Wilson's book and apparently the SN's are shared with the Army Special Model. It is quite old and suprisingly in great shape. It looks just like either gun #16 or #18 on page 341 of that book.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After the Army Special model name ceased being used, for years the OMT serial numbers (in .32 and .38 cal) followed the same range as the Official Police, the new name for the Army Special. The .22's had their own numbers.

You probably know this from the Sutherland/Wilson book, but OM serial numbers can cause lots of confusion for those who don't have the right reference books. I've heard some preposterous claims from dealers who don't understand the difficulties of OM serial numbers.

Best,
Bill A

·
Registered
153 Posts
230grFMJ
That gun would be a Second Issue OMT made in 1914.
Try the COLT-1 group at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1 there's a lot of info on serial numbers and pictures of the different issues and the different markings each issue has for all of the Pre War Colt Target Revolvers.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 230grfmj:
Thanks for paying better attention to my post than I did. I've had a difficult week but enough of that!!

The serial number is 378785. I messed up the 3 and put an 8 instead. Do you know much about these? The bluing is incredible. The person I bought it from said it shoots like a dream. It has the adjustable front and rear sight.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Did you give us the correct serial number?

There is no Colt Army Special, or OM revolver with that serial number listed on page 374.
In 1914, the serial range stood at 360500????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for paying better attention to my post than I did. I've had a difficult week but enough of that!!

The serial number is 378785. I messed up the 3 and put an 8 instead. Do you know much about these? The bluing is incredible. The person I bought it from said it shoots like a dream. It has the adjustable front and rear sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts