Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
A friend of mine was gifted a Police Positive in .38 Special by his 92 year old grandmother. It had belonged to his grandfather and he had used it when he was a law enforcement officer many years ago. It came in it's original box with the manual. It has a good bit of surface rust on it and I am cleaning it up for him. I thought it would be nice if I could tell him the year of manufacture. The serial number is 341423. I don't have a reference book for Colt revolvers so if someone could look it up for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Greg in TX

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Year of manufacture was 1928. Should have walnut checkered stocks with a silver Colt medallion. 4" tended to be common length of the barrel(measure from front of cylinder),with 5" & 6" a little less common. This gun was the lowest price quality .38 special revolver sold in America at the time,as well as the lightest weight. Both the manual(especially if its for police officers) and the box will increase its value. Be careful on cleaning the rust - and hopefully- someone here might give you some tips on what to use/how to do it,so as not to remove some remaining finish(is it blued?). A nice heirloom. Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud,
Thanks for the information. It has checkered walnut stocks with the silver medalions and a 4" barrel. If it didn't have any rust on it I would say the blued finish would rate at about 95%. I used Murphy's oil soap and cleaned the grips up pretty nicely. Got a lot of dirt off of them. I mostly collect Curio & Relic type automatic pistols so I have some experience with cleaning "frost" and in the case of this pistol some active rust, unfortunately. I will go over it lightly with 4 "0000" steel wool dipped in gun oil. I think it will look a lot better when I am through. I'm not going to get too carried away with it. I removed the cylinder and am soaking it and the frame in K1 kerosene overnight and will go to work on it tomorrow. The barrel is full of crud, lint and dust. What I could see of the bore looked pretty good. This revolver has been stored away and forgotten for many years. Too bad they didn't take better care of it but I think it will look ok when I am through with it. I'm not going to do anything extreme to "Granddad's" Colt.Any suggestions you might have for it's rehab would be welcomed.
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts