Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's everyone's favorite topic to discuss :). Anyway, I don't have a wide range of LGS around me so I'm relying on the Internet for this purchase. I'm looking around GA and GB for 6" stainless prices. They all seem to be hovering around the extremely upper $2k to $3k range (with box and papers even more). What's your opinion...are these the going rates or are just wishful thinking?

· Registered
3,170 Posts
If your looking online, then yes the going rate. My suggestion is to find one not online. That's just me. Some people just don't have the patience and choose to pay a very high markup for convenience.

· Premium Member
22,263 Posts
goldeneye, it sounds like you may live in an area of the country where the population density is low. In that case, you are probably stuck looking for specific guns on GA and GB. In more populated areas such as where I live we have Newspaper Trading Post editions that advertise local private guns for sale. However, even those advertisements are reflecting the large increases in prices for Fad guns like Pythons, Lugers, SAA's, etc. People in my area who find 'sleepers' usually do so by placing want ads in newspapers or working very hard to spread the word that they want to buy particular guns, like Pythons. You either have to work very hard to 'dig up' these sleepers or you have to be lucky.

· Registered
99 Posts
Very well taken care of Pythons are bringing in closer to 3k as most people are becoming familiar with what prices are today. I just paid around that for my new 6" nickel. Thought it was maybe a little high, but they weren't budging and I wanted the revolver. Sometimes getting what you want may cost you a little more, especially if you don't have the patience to wait for that golden opportunity (a cheap 100%) to fall into your lap. Good luck on finding yours.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input so far.

Jack, sounds like a good deal. Do you know in general how prices for stainless compare with nickel (haven't really been looking at nickel...a little too shiny for my taste :p)?

· Registered
1,491 Posts
goldeneye, I would say, based on what I have seen, that nickel will go for about 30 percent less then stainless. Unless you are looking at Vipers, which there aren't any stainless, just nickel. Those prices have skyrocketed. Got to gunbroker, search completed auctions and check on closed auction sales. This should give you a good idea.

Thanks for the input so far.

Jack, sounds like a good deal. Do you know in general how prices for stainless compare with nickel (haven't really been looking at nickel...a little too shiny for my taste :p)?

· Registered
3,189 Posts
I'm sure it's everyone's favorite topic to discuss :). Anyway, I don't have a wide range of LGS around me so I'm relying on the Internet for this purchase. I'm looking around GA and GB for 6" stainless prices. They all seem to be hovering around the extremely upper $2k to $3k range (with box and papers even more). What's your opinion...are these the going rates or are just wishful thinking?
I see brushed stainless 6 inch pythons selling from 2500-4500 just depending on the particulars. If you find one for less than 2500 and it functions, buy before they change their mind and call it a good day.

· Registered
176 Posts
I just paid 3k for a 4" SS no box. If you want one, that's what its going to take. I was in your shoes last month. 3k is what its gonna take for a SS python. More if you want 100% NIB. Some people would say wait but wait for what? For them to go up even more? Good luck.

· Registered
3,170 Posts
I picked up a Python, 6 inch nickel a few months back for $1,550. It did not have a box. It was manufactured in 1974, SN: E57761.
That's the way to do it Jack!!! Good deal.

· Registered
176 Posts
Let us know what you do.
Word og advise. If food and shelter and family is under control and you want this gun....But it. Look for the best deal YOU can find and buy that beauty. Doesn't matter if someone else speaks of a 2,000 dollar SS python, its about the best deal YOU can find. Like I said, 3k for a excellent Condition SS was the best price I could find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.