Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday......I wish I\'d had more time...........

Yesterday, I stopped at a local gun store. Another customer had a medium sized box, marked Hasbro Toys, on the counter. Next to it was Winchester rifle box. I overheard that he wanted to put some of his guns on consignment, so I listened more closely.

The first gun he took out of the box was wrapped in an old towel. He un-wrapped it and showed an 1851 Colt that had been owned by his great-great grand-father. The owner said it was about 30% and looked up the value in the blue book. It was listed as $2,500 and made in 1858.

The next was a Smith kit gun, in the box: un-fired.

The next was another blue un-fired Smith revolver. He had a few more un-fired guns that did not interest me.

Then, he said that he also had a Model 27 with a short barrel. He produced a 3 ½” Model 27 and I asked to see it after the clerk examined it. The owner let me examine it and said that he’d fired five rounds through it and put it away. There was no turn line and there were signs that the cylinder had been fired five times, no more. I said I’d be interested in it if it was for sale but I did not interfere with the dealers business.

The Winchester box contained an un-fired Winchester Model 94, 30-30.

I asked the clerk, who I’ve known for years, if I could have the first option to buy, if the Model 27 was put on consignment. He agreed but said the seller had decided to hold it for awhile. Not wishing to interfere with the business, I asked if the seller and I could exchange info. The clerk asked that we not do it on the property, which I can understand.

The bad news is that I had to leave and could not wait any longer. I will follow up with a call to the place today. I really want that Model 27.

John

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Yesterday......I wish I\'d had more time...........

Check the vintage of the Model 27 and make sure it still wears the correct stocks.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Oh, and what do you think a reasonable value is for that? I recently made contact with an old guy who may want to sell his. He was not the original owner (who sold him a Model 27 and called it pre-war /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )but this old gent only fired 3 or 4 rounds, 30 years ago and none since. I won't take advantage of him but don't want to offer too much.

Bart Noir

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

It will depend on the vintage. Is it a Non-Reg Mag, Pre-27, M27, M27-1, or M27-2? Is it a 5 screw, 4 screw, or 3 screw gun?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts