Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Colt's and inquired about the Elite style Python stocks they sell now and was told they fit any post '90 Pythons without modification. I was told that they would need to be custom fitted to my two 60s Pythons at an additional $50 or so apiece for the work. Not interested in them at that cost since I have the worn original grips for my Pythons anyhow. My question is will the nice wooden Hogue monogrips fit on my Colts or will they also have to be fitted?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
They should fit, but it might be a good idea to email Hogue and ask.

I have no idea what possible change Colt would have done to the later Pythons to require $50.00 worth of fitting.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have some Hogues -- the checkered, fancy wood, different color wood on the bottom -- on my Python Elite, which I think dates from the early double aughts. ('00s.) Dan Collins, who is a very nice guy and an excellent craftsman, makes excellent repros of the original Colt grips, too. Neither of these solutions is cheap, but there it is. I believe his website is "collinsgrips" or something like that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll call both Ajax and Hogue and see what they have to say. I would think they should fit as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could someone tell me what style grips were the original grips on a 1982 Blue 6" Python. Do they have a name?

Also, did the front sights have the orange marking on them.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Could someone tell me what style grips were the original grips on a 1982 Blue 6" Python. Do they have a name?

[/ QUOTE ] type 3

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Rick,
That's odd that Colt implied the new Elite style stocks would require modification for pre-90's Pythons. I put the Elite stocks on my '76 and '87 Pythons and they fit perfectly without any changes. Maybe the very early production Pythons are somehow different?? Just an observation.
-Bob

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well I had to see for myself if they were or were not interchangeable, (I guess I have too much time on my hands)...

I took the grips off of an Elite and a 60's Python and guess what??? Each fit both...

This would not be the 1st time Colt has given out misinformation... I once inquired on a Whitetailer and was told by them that it was a Python (and continue to say so as we speak)... My assumption is that the documentation provided to the folk in Customer Service has a few errors contained within it (nowhere near the number in the Blue Book)... Not Customer Service’s fault, they are simple doing/relaying what they have been instructed to do...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's good to know about the Colt grips fitting like they're supposed to. Actually, I think I've fallen for some rather nice sets from Collins, Ajax and Hogue now. Those white ivory style grips with the Colt medallions from Ajax would look killer on a newly Royal Blued Python. The Hogues and Collins grips would probably be nicer for actually shooting though. I'll double check on my own '61 and '67 Pythons and make sure the factory grips are in fact interchangeable. The store where I got the '61 Python has an earlier Colt 357 (might be an early trooper, can't recall) with the earlier full checkered Python style grips that are like brand new. Should I offer to trade for them? I could get them pretty easily. Then again the gun itself is in fantastic shape all around and they only want like $325 for it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Rick, I'd buy the gun, which I think a .357 Magnum assuming the full checkered target grips are original to it. That's a great price for the gun alone, and with those grips thrown in... Jeez! $325? Get on back in there right now and buy it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll go check to see if it's there tomorrow (the Colt 357). If it is I'll see if I can get the price down under $300 and then she's mine. Real clean no blue wear at all with perfect lockup ta boot. Then again it might be gone already. I'll re-post about it if I get lucky.

·
Registered
178 Posts
RickS,
I have an older Colt in that gorgeous blue, and it was my Mother's revolver (Police Positive Target .22 from 1939) Anyway, I had the original grips which showed some wear, but were HoHum!!!!! I sent the gun to Dan Chesiak - who was in the Colt custom Shop for years, and he made me a set of Elephant Ivory grips - to die for. This guy is unbelievable. The fit to the gun is nothing short of "perfect" and the grips have the older style Rampant Colt medallion. I couldn't be more pleased. The price is (was) less than I expected.
Call him at 1 (203) 723-8600. You will not be sorry if you like Ivory Grips.
BTW- he made the Ivory grips on my Custom Commander.

Terry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts