Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we collect Colt we probably collect other Colt stuff. Right? I do a lot of other Colt things and here is some odd ones. Aluminum I think. Don't see many. Anyone know who made these? Thanks, Joe

Fit Colt medium frame:
DSC05827.jpg DSC05828.jpg

Two styles for small Colt G Frame:
DSC05829.jpg

Fitted to large frame Colt New Service:
DSC05830.jpg

I think this set is for a Colt Woodsman but are unfinished. Need some grinding to fit frame and holes driilled and tapped for screw.
DSC05838.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,667 Posts
As above, pewter?

Up until the 1930's aluminum was actually a fairly rare material.
In the early 1900's aluminum was considered to be a very expensive and rare metal, to the point that expensive fountain pens and jewelry were made of it.

If the grips are solid and not heavy they're probably aluminum. If heavy or hollowed out on the inside, probably pewter or Zinc alloy.

Just as a guess, I'd bet that the grips are post-war.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have the familiar oxidized look of aluminium; all holster makers until this century used aluminium castings of pistols for molding, we've seen a lot of 'em that include the checkered grips.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I like the old Colt Stocks!

They look really good..!

My guess, is back when, guys sometimes made these for themselves...and or maybe even the High School Metal Shops as they once were. may have seen a few be Cast up and finished now and then.

I do not think they were ever offered Commercially.

Some info here on the History of Aluminum -

https://www.aluminiumleader.com/history/industry_history/

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

First model Woodsman. I had a set of wood grips shaped just like these. They actually make for a good feeling grip shape!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Oye, I was thinking not a factory also. The Colt logo gives that credence, they never made any in Aluminum, and they wouldn't allow any business to use their name on some. So probably a mold was made, then cast from a set of grips someone had.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is pictures of the inside of the medium frame pair (1st pictures above). Note the "A5" engraved into the right hand stock. None of my others have any markings. Commercially made? Thanks, Joe

DSC05841.jpg DSC05840.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,667 Posts
The internal marking does suggest these were commercially made.
When, where, and by who is a question.
They seem to have a rather 50's or early 60's look about them.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Aluminum Shrinks about 6 percent when Cast, so any Mold entity has to anticipate this and be that much larger.

This makes it difficult then to reproduce exact items from an 'original'.

So...I am not sure how some of these were done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts