Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a gun show in York, PA this weekend and I'm planning on attending. Has anyone here been to it before? I'd like to know what to expect. I understand it's not quite as big as the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, VA but set up a bit more easily navigated through.

Reactions: KB3

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the coupon...much appreciated. My mom had a saying..."The money looks better in my pocket than theirs."

Reactions: claudel

·
Registered
385 Posts
I managed to break loose for a lap around the show.

I saw a few things I liked.

A couple of new Model "M"s, one park, one high polished engraved.

To me, the fire blue seemed a bit off in the shade of blue. Much darker than my 1909 one...

Other than that, it was a nice looking pistol.

Personally I'd look for a 90%+ original Type I or II if I was going to spend that much...

Someone had a couple of nice 1902s, one Sporting, one Military.

I'd guess ~80% or so finish, maybe more.

Just south of $5K is too spendy for me. My car is worth less than that.

I saw a few older model "M" type IIIs. I expect better condition for ~$900, but I'm probably out of touch.

A few sellers with some decent old revolvers. I didn't check prices on SAAs...

Anyway, glad I went. I can use the exercise even if I didn't buy anything.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
very nice Harley, Shooter. I've been looking for one of those up here in the Poconos.

I've been to the York show many times. It runs hot and cold. 8 years ago I got a beautiful 3rd Hand Ejector there from some black rifle accessory guys. They were selling it for a friend. One of my favorites.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The show was very good...I found everything on my list...that rarely happens. The York show will be on my regular show attending list.

Reactions: ei8ht and SHOOTER13

·
Registered
385 Posts
I almost forgot the really nice pre-Civil War cased S&W revolving rifle I saw there.

Absolutely stunning. Looked as if it left the factory last week instead of almost 200 years ago.

A mere $36K, but hey...

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah...I saw that. You gave an apt description..."stunning". So was the asking price.

Reactions: claudel

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I was looking for was some parts, Cam. Some 1911 stocks, a few boxes of ammunition...that kind of thing. Nothing more than that. There was a vendor there with a lot of older Colts and S&W's...I've seen him at Chantilly before. He has absolutely beautiful examples of them...breathtaking asking prices as well. He had a used holster on one of his tables I was interested in...I couldn't get his attention so I walked. I guess I wasn't looking wealthy enough for him to come over.

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Thanks and I was hoping to see some rare Colt treasure that you stumbled across. I will be attending the Michigan Antique Arms Show next month and will be doing the same, looking for anything that might fill a hole in the collection. This has always been a good show as the guns there must be collector guns that are at least 25 years old and none of the beef jerky stuff that has filled so many of the other shows across the nation.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah...in at least one area of the show the smell of beef jerky was kind of overwhelming. Lots and lots of knife vendors...occasionally interests me if they have some really nice stuff but much of it was flea market quality knifes being offered. There were some nice knives but nothing to make me pull out my wallet. I won't complain about the occasional jewelry vendors as I've found some nice grifts for my wife and daughter that way in the past.

As far as filling holes in the collections, I really don't go into a show with that expectation but if I find a target of opportunity I may not have considered before, that's gold to me. As much as anything else, I like to see asking prices for items I already have to get some idea of the current market. I did see a lot of M1 Garands and Carbines...asking prices seem to have gone up.

gun shows.jpg greatest fear.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts