Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our semi-annual qualification today one of my young officers was touting the "combat accuracy" of his Tupperware Glock and sort of sneering at my 62 year old Colt OP. I decided to give him a lesson so I took the target next to his and while he was shooting all over the target I put fifty rounds of semi-wadcutter .38's in a group the size of my palm. Of course, his argument was that he had more firepower than I did and I calmly explained to him that firepower didn't mean a darn thing if you don't hit the target.

Cops can be cruel and his buddies laughed him off the range for being beaten by his 62 year old Chief with his 62 year old Colt...LOL Nothing beats the old Colt revolvers for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Nice job Chief! Hopefully he'll be open and honest enough with himself to learn something from the experience.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortibus, I have been trying to teach the young ones that first shot accuracy is more important than firepower. Spray and pray works well in the Army and I remember it well but in a civilian setting with innocents around that sort of mentality is dangerous. I read stories regularly in the police journals about officers firing 30 rounds in a gunfight and never hitting the suspect, My first thought is always; where did those 30 rounds go?

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I grew up plinking with a stevens favorite model 71 (got a weak spot in my heart for a commemorative.. another downfall of mine). Its a single shot falling block 22LR . I would bring a bag of pecans or gumballs off a sweetgum and throw them one at a time off a country bridge into the winding and moving creek. with nothing but time and bullets, I know something about 1 shot placement. If I missed, by the time I reloaded the follow up shot only grew more difficult as the target moved downstream. My eyes are still good with an open sight rifle. I could even impress my dad .. no easy task. The bad news for me. It didn't help me shoot a pistol worth a darn. I wish I could shoot a palm sized group offhand at most any distance. :bang_wall:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
My instructor was Law Enforcement and would go nuts if you missed a shot.He would ask "What innocent did you just kill?".That statement always stuck in my mind and I practice with the goal of not missing.It is unforunate that marksmanship has been lost to capacity in the law enforcement setting with the tactical tupperware.There was a incident in my area where 2 police officers fired 85 rounds and hit the perp 14 times.Thank God no innocents were struck with the 71 rounds of 9mm that missed.This is not said with any disrespect to LEO's and yes it is different when you are being shot at,but it does illustrate the point that shot placement is everything.Great shooting Chief.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I wasn't LE but had been incarcerated in military school in the mid 60's. Our ROTC Msgt was an old school veteran who besides teaching us young squirts the proper use of weapons also competed in handgun and rifle competitions. He'd disappear from the campus for a saturday to return sunday with yet another trophy which he quietly put away without a word to anyone. Sgt Oz explained one day "I learned how to place my shots when I was under fire and my life depended on what I hit". That brief explaination always stuck in my mind.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Good going, Chief.

I always thought it funny that I could reload my S&W M625 .45 ACP revolver or my Colt 1917 faster with full moon clips than could my fellow officers with their Glock semiautos.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gun control is hitting your target. To be quite honest I think the revolver is much harder to shoot well than the semi-auto. Perhaps these young pups need to be trained to hit with a revolver before moving on to the tupperware specials. Firepower is hitting your target with the first and follow-up shots in my book. But then again I am also 62 what do I know!! But I was trained well. Good shooting chief, your a man after my own heart, have had similar experiences.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ah as and old retired Chief your story warms the cockles of my heart!:)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Great shooting Chief, glad to have you in Texas. I have a younger friend that I shoot with regularly and since his eyes are 25 years younger he generally groups better than I do. One day after the shooting and everything was put away we were sitting on the ranch porch sipping an adult beverage when he let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird butt making the statement "You know if we got in a gunfight I'd get you for sure cause I shoot better than you!". My responce was " How do you do with someone shooting back!" he stated that he had never been in that situation. I said I had been and was still sitting here sipping whiskey on the porch. It's a whole differant sort of pressure. And with that my friend quietly went in and fixed the next round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts