Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife likes to knit of an evening. It relaxes her and takes her mind off of the trials and tribulations of her daily work ritual at the local rest home.
But she also thinks that I'm supremely interested in the art of knitting, and consequently I am subject to intricate lectures on stitching, side stitching, top stitching, bottom stitching, line weaving, corner and end row corpusculating, and whatever in God's name kind of stitching or corpusculating that occurs during this process whilst abject and abysmal life-altering boredom takes over my entire corporeal existence and threatens a cataclysmically ballistic end to all that I might consider to be worthwhile and reasonably rewarding in this one guaranteed lifetime of which I am now a part of.
So as a defense mechanism I get out my Rossi two-inch .38-.357 and the four-digit '73 SAA and clean and rub on them until my fingers are crackly and thin as roasted chicken skin.
The Rossi is no big deal, a fun little gun which fits quit nicely down the back of my pants. I take it with me to Wendy's because you never know when some dickhead will try to jump the line. That's just not right, and forceful and decisive action in such a situation will stand up in court, at least in Montana.
The '73 is a different story. It's a four-digit U.S. stamped Custer era gun (though modified, and not really worth much), and is a third generation sidearm and heirloom which is very much venerated by all in my extended family. It's as loose and floppy as Lady Ga-Ga but very much more respectable. It still shoots and does all the things that might be expected of it.
The last time it was used was by my eighty-six-year-old mother, just a month or so ago. She hadn't fired it since 1952 when it was totally original as a seven-and-a-half-inch black powder .45 and would be priceless in that condition nowadays. My dad had it rebuilt to a .38 Special in 1956, dang him.
Anyway, my point is, I guess, that though I don't mind telling yarns, I don't particularily feel the need to make cardigans out of them. I'd much rather rub oil into old steel and revel in the heft and balance of a finely tuned unit of catastrophic destruction, all the while nodding and smiling in agreement as my dearly beloved carries on a conversation with someone she thinks is actually paying attention to her.
But of course, I am, truly...

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Hi denghis; always love hearing your gun stories and anecdotes. You have to be the only man in the universe who can weave a tale including a Colt SAA with Lady Gaga!

Can't wait to hear your next one sir! :D

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I wonder if anyone ever had a Knitted Shoulder Holster? ( Of course, it would have to be Knitted with a method that does not encourage stretching. )

Might be a possible Bridge-Builder there..!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She did knit me a kind of holster thirty years ago, but, alas, it did stretch...or maybe my gun shrunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts