Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Pony Owners. I want to know the best deal you ever secured on a colt firearm.

*Gifts / Heirlooms excluded. I’m talking purchases. Let’s hear some stories (factual ones appreciated)

·
Registered
514 Posts
maybe not the greatest deals but okay deals.
---buddy at work told me he had 2 revolvers he was selling for 100 each. I said I mght be interested in one, he has 2 colt police positive in .38 spl so I bought both of them.
---pawn shop guy knows I like old revolvers, he shows me a 357 revolver for $250, turned out to be a colt 3 5 7 with a trashed grips
----guy at the swap meet has a gun frame and a bag of parts, I get it for $100.01 turns out to be a .45 colt m1917, needed new springs and grips.
----swap meet, guy had a colt new navy made in 1897, $150 needed a bolt spring
---- swap meet guy had a old revolver frame for 15 bucks, turned out to be a colt official police frame from 1942 or 43 according to the post I made in the revolver forum, barrel, crane and cylinder from another swap meet $50, grips, side plate and all the gets off ebay for about 150 bucks. A little trial and error plus filing and I have a cool reconstructed .38 special! jim

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe not the greatest deals but okay deals.
---buddy at work told me he had 2 revolvers he was selling for 100 each. I said I mght be interested in one, he has 2 colt police positive in .38 spl so I bought both of them.
---pawn shop guy knows I like old revolvers, he shows me a 357 revolver for $250, turned out to be a colt 3 5 7 with a trashed grips
----guy at the swap meet has a gun frame and a bag of parts, I get it for $100.01 turns out to be a .45 colt m1917, needed new springs and grips.
----swap meet, guy had a colt new navy made in 1897, $150 needed a bolt spring
---- swap meet guy had a old revolver frame for 15 bucks, turned out to be a colt official police frame from 1942 or 43 according to the post I made in the revolver forum, barrel, crane and cylinder from another swap meet $50, grips, side plate and all the gets off ebay for about 150 bucks. A little trial and error plus filing and I have a cool reconstructed .38 special! jim
I need to start hanging out at your spots more……

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Python snubby...as new from my brother for $300...but this was when Pythons were still in production during the '90s.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A shop in Florida catering to the "tactical" clientele listed a blued US PROPERTY Colt 1903 .32 for $695 on gunbroker. I called and asked if they would do a "buy-it-now".

Kid yells over to the boss " You wanna sell that old Colt right now?"
Voice in the background yells back "Sure, does he want the letter that came with it?

"Why, yes I do! Thanks! Where does it say it was shipped?

"ummm.... uhhhh.... Fowler Building?", he says.

"Cool. Here's my VISA number".

OSS Model M for $700

hand to god true story.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I was hanging out in the gun store when a 20-something guy walks in with something wrapped in a towel and askes if they (the store) bought used guns.
"Sometimes...whatcha got?"
"This old pistol I got from my Granddad and I don't want it" as he unwrapped it.
All we could see was a single action.
"Let's go in the back and see what we can work out."
About 5 minutes later, the kid walks out grinning and shoving something in his pocket.
"What was it, Tim?"
"Just some old Colt that nobody makes ammo for anymore."
"Can I see it?"
He pulls out a nice tight 1st Gen BP .41 Colt SA.
"Whatcha gonna do with it?"
"Probably sell it after I get it in the books."
"What are you going to ask for it?"
"Oh...there isn't ammo for it anymore. Probably $250."
"Hold it for me, I'll be back in the morning with cash."

Everyday carry Material property Trigger Sleeve Gun accessory

El Paso Saddlery shipped, 1890.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Dad bought a 1959 Frontier Scout 22 Magnum for $40 - but only if the holster came with it. Bought a new 45ACP Combat Commander for $124.95 free shipping from Bill's House of Guns in Michigan. Ah, but that was 1975.

Reactions: JimK

·
Registered
255 Posts
1938 1st. Series Colt Woodsman Bullseye match target for $300.00. Heavy wear, original cracked grips and 3 line magazine. One of many I wish I still had.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
My last gun purchase. Walked into my LGS and saw a 3rd Gen Colt SAA in .45 with the 4 3/4" barrel. Gun had faded CCH and bluing was 95% with most of it on the heel of the backstrap, down to bare metal (have since sent it to Lever Action Bill to reblue). Came with a nice leather holster rig. $1320 out the door. Sold the rig for $40 and I've got $1280 into the gun.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Years ago, a seller could end a Gun Broker auction when there were pending bids. The seller of this Police Positive Special accidentally ended the auction when I had a $75 bid. He contacted me and said I could have the gun for that price if I wanted it. It had a chipped grip, so I wound up paying $80 for a replacement pair. 😅

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I have more than a couple dozen , for a while it was a 4” .357 DA PEACEKEEPER for two and change . That was in the late nineties, since then I’ve gotten serious deals on about ten of them...... Recently though , I purchased this dream and grail gun from a member here.
He really hooked me up , and went out of his way facilitating the deal . Price doesn’t matter , to me - it is my best deal to date , including a BSTS Python I purchased for $685 .
Calipers Ruler Rectangle Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
All of these were purchased from gun shops that had been in business for years. If they were underpriced, then the shops should have done their research before pricing them.
I would call this my best Colt buy. A Viper in about 99% condition for $300. in 2012.

For Smith and Wesson. A New Model Three Target in .32-44 with original nickel finish and serial number 67. It was $500. last August.

Original Polish Military Radom VIS35 from 1938. Bad pitting mostly on the outside of the slide, but perfect inside and a perfect bore. A great shooter. $100. around 2014.

Long guns.
Winchester 9422 from 1977. still new with a hang tag. $350. in 2018.

Parker DHE 12 gage, 32" Titanic steel barrels, #2 frame, made in 1919 with mirror bores. Butt stock has been cut for a pad $500. in 2018.

Weatherby MK XXII tube feed semi auto .22 with a good scope for $200. in 2010.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.