Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have probably talked about this before but this is a new day and your opinions may have changed. I am 67 and in good health so this isn't a doomsday thread. :cool: At this point in life I am planning ahead so I picked age 71 as to when I will start selling off my Colts. Not all of them, I just can't sell them all but I want to start thinking now about what I want to keep and what should go.

I will keep the second Gen Franken SAA that Mr Martin did a great trigger job on. It's not a collectable but has earned a sweet spot in my life.

A 1911 Series 70.

My Detective special I carried for decades.

My New Frontier in 44 Special

A 22lr but I might just settle for my conversion kit for the 1911.

That's it, as I get older I am going to pass on some great guns to those comming along with their collections. Hopefully to people who enjoy shooting too.

So do you have some favorites that are the last to go or are you keeping it all until you check out?

Jim

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I may sell some because my two boys would have no interest in them. It’s not that they don’t like or own their own firearms (they’re both shooters and hunters) but they are different in other ways. One knows the value of a dollar, the other not so much. One is into the latest fad while the other I believe appreciates quality more. If I was concerned about leaving them any money I would just sell them myself but that’s not an issue. My personal preference would be to give them what interests them before I leave, we just never know when that will be.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some cicumstances that influence my selling. I have just one daughter and no sons. She works constantly and doesn't shoot much at all. If I leave her a big collection then odds are she will be taken advantage of by those in the business. She won't need the money but may as well add to her retirement account.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just told the wife last night it was time to find new caretakers for the entire collection. I will keep my favorite 1911 and some plinkers and pass off a couple to my son that he wants.

Have something they can't cure and while I have some years left. Don't want to go before I re home the collection. Good stuff goes to caretakers. Junk and fun go to folks who enjoy that. Also want to go leaving a pile of cash for the wife instead of stuff she'd have to fool with.

(Won't respond to any inquires about guns. Already have a sales plan.)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I think about it frequently. What to do with them. My Dad's two guns have to go to my son even though he has no interest in guns generally. I have been thinking of selling some and buying something I can enjoy, like a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think about it frequently. What to do with them. My Dad's two guns have to go to my son even though he has no interest in guns generally. I have been thinking of selling some and buying something I can enjoy, like a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic!
I bought a Harley about three years after the wife died. When we met all I had was a motorcycle so everytime I ride it I have good memories. Not much out there I want now days but love to have fun. Only have one younger friend that shoots a lot, he is in the will for a couple of guns he likes. He doesn't know it. His wife loves to shoot too and both have been good friends for 30+ years.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
This is always a good discussion. It pops up from time to time, and up until the last couple years, I had the brilliant idea that my son and his kids would undoubtedly keep the collection going and maybe expand when feasible.
Now, after more careful consideration, I am to the point where I'm thinkin' it isn't fair to expect the kids & grandkids to carry on with my interests, if they don't have the same kind of footing with 'em as I do.
So, I have had some exchange of ideas with my son, and there are ones that will stay, and the NFA stuff will be placed in trust, and there may be a pretty good slug of guns going back into circulation at some point down the line. I got the impression: 'Ben, what am I gonna do with 30 or 40 Colt pistols and revolvers?' (He has called me by my given name since he could talk, but that's another story....)
So I reckon we can sort out what the inventory will be before the fat lady sings. I know, or, more accurately, I have a pretty good idea about what appeals to him.
Meanwhile, what's to prevent me from accumulating even more Colts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This thread gives me pause as a young(er) (44), new collector. I’m looking to build a core collection of Colt SAAs, but as the more senior of us sell off their collections, it seems better and better guns will come out of the woodwork and prices likely depressed. This would ostensibly be great news for those in my position but no collector wants to be on an island by himself—sure I enjoy these and other firearms for their intrinsic artistry and in some cases history but do not look forward to the time when there are fewer of us to share this passion with.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
So I have a question for you all. I have an incurable cancer from my Military service but I love guns and am still buying them. I'll be honest with you all I don't and probably won't shoot all of them but I rotate the ones I take to the range. I still shoot at least once a week and shoot competition trap. I was told after getting a transplant that I could live 2 years or 15 years as long as I keep getting maintenance chemo every 2 weeks. You guys got me thinking so should I stop buying guns and sell off what I have or keep on keeping on? Sorry to dump something this heavy question on everyone and if it offends anyone or if this is the wrong place to talk about this I'll delete the post but I really wanted to get your opinions since mortality was brought up. I don't have a mega collection or high dollar collection by any stretch of the imagination but it's not bad for a regular everyday Joe. Most are pistols and revolvers but I have a few long guns. Don't be afraid to tell me you think I should sell them I really do value the opinions of people on this forum.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts