Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always found the forum names that some of us use, quite interesting. These names, (or handles) as they're sometimes called are often funny, colorful and downright inventive.

I thought it might be interesting to learn the reason why some of us use the forum name we do. While some are obvious, quite a few aren't so I thought that some of you might like to reveal to the members, the reason you call yourself what you do.

I'm listing ten reasons why I'm known as "Matchlock". You don't have to have more than one reason, but here's ten to show you why I like the name "Matchlock"

1. In my younger years I was often found loaded, leaning up against the wall.

2. I shot pretty much as good as most, and better than some.

3. Because of the way I was built, I could go off half-cocked any old time at all.

4. Sometimes, after going off half-cocked I'd be loaded again.

5. I could often be found in, or near the gun room.

6. I was always considered reliable.

7. I had the ability to make some men laugh.

8. I also had the ability to make some men cry.

9. I'm old now, and have earned my retirement.

10. I've been fortunate enough to have been loved by some very fine people.

Now this could be very entertaining.

Bud

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well............. ok, but it IS after all in all UPPERCASE characters so it could have meant some thing like..... WIL TERRY get a ticket today? Or WIL TERRY buy a new Colt this weekend? Right?

Just kidding of course, but you gotta admit, your is unusual. As a forum handle I mean.

Bud

IT'S my given name.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well, it's what this chat line is all about, isn't it?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Been playing with and shooting 1911s for years. How I got into Colts was my very first handgun was a Trooper MKIII. Couple of Colt 1911s. Migrated to other 1911s. Then Colt quite making DA's so started picking up the ones I missed. Had I only bought all those Pythons/varients back in the day...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I chose mine because I wanted to try something new. I have been on ebay and many other forums with a different, car related handle for years. Now I wish I would have used my old handle but too late. I dont live in the city just general metro area. Its actually kind of embarrasing to be from Chicago area these days.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Seriously, "Old-Colts"; do you really have to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Since I collect prewar Colt Single Actions and prewar Winchester Lever Actions; it was a heck of a lot shorter than other combinations or inclusions! :cool:

I have the same username on several other Gun Forums.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I had an Uncle that taught me to hunt and shoot. He was a lifetime Leo and was in the last mounted Cavalry Unit during WWII. He would always call my Brothers and I by different names, ie; Broken Axl, Herman - (short for Herman the German), Double Ugly, etc. = I thought broknaxl would be better than Double Ugly, although I reseamble that remark !! LOL - I do miss that guy.
Oh also that is him shooting in my avatar.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I chose mine because I wanted to try something new. I have been on ebay and many other forums with a different, car related handle for years. Now I wish I would have used my old handle but too late. I dont live in the city just general metro area. Its actually kind of embarrasing to be from Chicago area these days.
Beats Detroit.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I'm glad you asked this Bud. There was a similar thread here about three years ago that I searched for and couldn't find so I'm happy you resurrected it.

I collected cars and guns for a long time. My favorites of the two are Colt and Mercedes-Benz. My current favorite of our Benz's is a Capri Blue SL500.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Chicago posted: I chose mine because I wanted to try something new. I have been on ebay and many other forums with a different, car related handle for years. Now I wish I would have used my old handle but too late. I dont live in the city just general metro area. Its actually kind of embarrasing to be from Chicago area these days.
Well I know where ya live, though not exactly, because I grew up there and my mom had a dance studio there on Central Street for some 20 years. I probably wouldn't recognize the town anymore as I'm sure it's grown considerably from when I left in 1970.

Back to the name thing. On the "net" I was "MtnMan"(some number I can't remember) due to living up the foothills of CO. Having moved over a decade ago to sanity in Texas I kept the "Mtn" and added the "Spur" who is the first horse I bought in Texas. He's a sorrel saddlebred and a "cutting" fool of a horse. He's old now, about 25 or so but he's still got some spunk to him.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Chose mine for a couple of reasons:

1. My SASS name that I originally used got screwed up (on other sites when I tried to use it) and I had to choose another.
2. I have to be careful because I work for the Feds and it can't be too identifiable in case I cross the line
3. I went back to school in my mid-40's and did my MS thesis on black bear behavior
4. At the time I chose it, I was working with grizzly bears.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts