·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is not a new question.
But what .22 ammo do you use the most?
I have been shooting Mini Mags in the
Officers Match.
I am open to suggestions to try new things.
Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When just plinking I use bulk ammo, usually Federal. For target practice I use CCI standard velocity. It seems to be consistant and it is recommended for my S&W 41. I use it for serious practice in most of my 22lr guns. It is not the best for actual matches, yet it doesn't cost as much either.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When just plinking I use bulk ammo, usually Federal. For target practice I use CCI standard velocity. It seems to be consistant and it is recommended for my S&W 41. I use it for serious practice in most of my 22lr guns. It is not the best for actual matches, yet it doesn't cost as much either.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have had good luck with Winchester's T-22 in most of my .22s. You really should try all the brands and styles you can find to learn what your revolver likes the best. With a target firearm like your Officer's Match you should do better with a standard velocity load than the high velocity loads.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Before you waste a lot of money on some of the more popular name brand stuff, try a few boxes of the Aguila standard velocity that's made using Ely primed brass. Not the tiny light weight bullet stuff, but the standard velocity/weight loading. Not all the dealers carry it, but at a buck a box, it is super accurate in most guns, and right up there with some of the much more expensive match ammo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second the aguila standard velocity SSE ammo, very accurate in my sig trailside. and cheap, brick for $15 at the local gun shows

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the good advice

I look forward to trying out the suggestions.
The world of .22 revolvers is new to me, and I am loving every minute of it.
Thanks!!!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just stay away from Remington. Their centerfires are fine but the rimfires are inconsistent and don't function in auto's well. Misfires abound.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
For Armadillo shootin, try CCI Stingers.
Accurate and powerful.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 04-28-2005).]

·
Registered
178 Posts
THE REMINGTON ISSUE IS EASILY RESOLVED!. In fact, it is some of the most accurate ammo available IF YOU GAUGE with a headspace gauge from Brownells. That seems like a lot of effort, but when you price the really accurate match ammo, it is a bargain, and takes very little time. The gauge is calibrated in mm. and if you run a batch of 1000 cartridges through, you end up with a distribution that looks like a gaussian curve. The ends of the distribution gauge at 1cm & 5cm. In the middle are 2.5, 3, 3.5....these are the key sizes. I ran Federal Ultra Match ammo (discontinued and the best ammo I have ever shot - also $100.00/brick)and it sizes at 3cm -consistently. When I shoot the Remington that size between 2.5 and 3.5, I get One-hole groups. The cartridges that size at 1, tend to misfire.....they don't chamber properly.
The best ammo for the money (accuracy) in most guns seems to be CCI Green Tag and Federal Gold Medal. With all .22's you must try a variety in YOUR gun. My Pardini match pistol will not function with CCI. The Federal Ultra (I have 2000 cached for matches)will shoot one-hole. I use these on slow fire, and the sized Remington on timed and Rapid where scoring is a bit easier. i practice with Federal Std. velocity.
Terry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have found that for just general plinking or informal, steel target shooting, Winchester Power Point HP does very well in almost every .22 gun, rifle and handgun, that I own. Unfortunately, I can't find that ammo anywhere, anymore. I was told that the plant burned down and Winchester is pretty much out of the .22 rimfire ammo business.

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
... I was told that the plant burned down and Winchester is pretty much out of the .22 rimfire ammo business.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that Winchester moved the plant down south and had some difficulties in getting things running again . They are again shipping 22's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I've had very good results with the Remington Target in the blue and green box. Only Eley Tenex showed less velocity variation (12fps for 10 shots) than does the Remington (22fps for 10 shots). My Woodsman loves it as does my S&W Model 17 8-3/8. I shoot it in a Springfield Model 1922AII and a Winchester Model 1890 with great results.

CCI Green Tag, and CCI standard velocity are quality cartridges as well. Federal high-velocity 36 grain hollowpoints(red box) have given 1-inch 5-shot groups in the Springfield M1922AII from the bench at 100 yards and is what I use for small game hunting.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My favorite for target guns is Wolf Match Extra; cheaper than Eley, very accurate, consistent, and seems to work well in all of my guns of that type, which is rare. I usually buy it by the brick from Midwayusa.com. Not the cheapest, but I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hmmm. Various opinions about Remington ammo all around.

When I started shooting with my DB a was first offered Remington ammo. Now, when the sound of the gunshot goes from, fwamp to Bang, Ping to pong, with ammo out of the same 50 round package, that does not build a lot of confidence for a shooter. Espescially when the holes in the target are all over the place, even shot from the rest. This occurred not only with the standard Remington but also later with the Remington Viper.

Needless to say that I quickly took to brands like Winchester( no longer available in Holland due to problems with the dealer here in Holland /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) CCI, Lapua and Eley. Those brands at least sounded constent and the results were a lot better. (Lapua being the best but also the most expensive /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts