Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input from y’all on the “must have” 22 SA’s. I’ve had great experiences with a Ruger Bearcat and the ol’ Heritage Rough Rider as all-around plinkers and trap line guns. Now I’m looking at expanding the collection and wondering what to add next. A Ruger Single Six, a genuine Colt, the USFA Plinker...lots of options out there, feel free to weigh in!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Looking for input from y’all on the “must have” 22 SA’s. I’ve had great experiences with a Ruger Bearcat and the ol’ Heritage Rough Rider as all-around plinkers and trap line guns. Now I’m looking at expanding the collection and wondering what to add next. A Ruger Single Six, a genuine Colt, the USFA Plinker...lots of options out there, feel free to weigh in!
My favorite is the Ruger Single Six, but only the earlier ones with a semi-flattop frame, dovetailed rear sight, and original firing pin design. This one left the factory Nov 1966 as a 22 RF and 22 Mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Get a Colt Peacemaker. I like my Old Model Rugers but the Colts are in a different league.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
For a SA 22 I prefer a Ruger Old Model Single Six. I really like the older XR-3 grip guns made before the "super" SS. (dove tail rear sight). I feel the quality exceeds anything Colt ever produced in a .22.

Dan
I agree. Been trying in vain to wear out this Single Six for about 20yrs.

The USFA 12/22 is also a peach of a .22LR.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I started out with a 6 1/2" Ruger convertible single six in 1962. It was my first good handgun and the one I learned to shoot with. I may have shot it more than most of my handguns put together since. I got to the point I could throw a bottle in the air, draw and hit it pretty often. It was stolen on me when I took a vacation. About 20 years ago I found a 5 1/2" 1957 or 1958 standard single six almost new in the box and snagged it. It doesn't have the newer action they wanted everyone to replace to safely load six. I also have a old nickle colt scout. The scout being bright nickle is hard to pick up the sights on a bright day. I like the old unmolested ruger better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts