Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've got an opportunity to pick this up for $250. I don't know anything about PP....I have Pythons. I know the grips are original but what do the knowledgeable members say about this gun. Thanks in advance for your opinions and your time in answering this post.......Papa.

·
Registered
419 Posts
if it times right and locks up tight I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal. if you still are debating, send me the owners name and I'll make the decision for you.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
That's affirmative, Blue Leader. Red Dog, out.

p.s. I'm lookin' at a 1909 6" in considerably less condition, appearance-wise, for more $. I'm hopin' to haggle if it is going to happen.

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Looks like a early 20's gun that would have been correct with the fancy hard rubber stocks. Also the early guns have a very fine sight picture of which my over 50 eyes cant see to well. The later 20's gun and beyond had a sight picture that was of a more modern patridge u groove square.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I say grab it, Papa. Last year I bought a 1922 PPS with a chopped barrel (2") for $200 from a co-worker. Texasleaguer is spot on: if you don't do the deal, many Forum members here will be waiting in line. Do keep us posted?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to meet with the owner ASAP and examine the gun.....looks like a good buy at this price. A set of correct grips would be a plus. I'm sure a member of this forum has a set I could buy. I'll let you know if I buy the gun....
Regards to all:
Papa

·
Registered
82 Posts

I've got an opportunity to pick this up for $250. I don't know anything about PP....I have Pythons. I know the grips are original but what do the knowledgeable members say about this gun. Thanks in advance for your opinions and your time in answering this post.......Papa.
For $250 ? Great deal get it.
They won't be any less expensive.
Any colt is a good investment.
S&W is going crazy too , well the older no lock ones.

The grips are old and I think after market. Research them maybe they are worth some big money. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
I'm waiting to see if my bid is going to hold on a PPS from the late 1920's that I saw on GB day before yesterday. It has the nice hard rubber grips much like the ones on my circa 1923 Army Special; thought they'd make a nice set. After I made the bid I noticed that the front sight looks like it has been filed with a flat in the back, I hope not, but it's still a nice looking PPS. As for this one Papa, I'd buy it and ditch the grips...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
snip/That's affirmative, Blue Leader. Red Dog, out.

p.s. I'm lookin' at a 1909 6" in considerably less condition, appearance-wise, for more $. I'm hopin' to haggle if it is going to happen. /snip

Not jumpin' this thread, honest.
Went to the Trading Post and didn't have to haggle much.
I thought it was a 1909, but it is, in fact a 1919. It was in the case scince 08/09, and I had looked at it on numerous occaisions.
It isn't too bad, really; has great lookin' bore & cylinder, and I got it out the door for $300. The worst feature is the obligatory corner knocked off one of the grip panels, about ~<0.25". I have ones with bigger chunks out of 'em. Otherwise it is what you might expect an old gun to be.
It is easily a $300 gun in these economic times.
I'm all excited, as you all know, and you would be yourselves if you had just gone and bought a nice old relic today......
So, by my standards, you made a fine deal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked the 1920 PP up today. It locks up tight and the timing seems to be off just a bit....nothing to worry about. The seller threw in 100rds of factory ammo and a new holster with the deal. The bluing is very good except on the cylinder where it's a bit worn.
All in all, I'm happy with the deal. Now to find a set of period correct grips.....does anybody know where I might find such a set? Thanks in advance....Papa.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I picked the 1920 PP up today. It locks up tight and the timing seems to be off just a bit....nothing to worry about. The seller threw in 100rds of factory ammo and a new holster with the deal. The bluing is very good except on the cylinder where it's a bit worn.
All in all, I'm happy with the deal. Now to find a set of period correct grips.....does anybody know where I might find such a set? Thanks in advance....Papa.
Congratulations!

Those are not the original stocks.

Why don't you post a free Want To Buy ad here and/or look on ebay to acquire Colt factory stocks?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The PPS is a bargain at $250. You might want to shoot it with those stocks on it before getting rid of them. Might decide you like them. Good luck.
What he said! Actually those stocks look pretty good as shooters. You may want an original set to put on, if you display it, but for shooting I'd just keep those on. Great find at a great price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.